Sign in to follow this  

California SLIME ?

How much do you put in per tire?

I've never known fix a flat to work on a tube tire.  Slime will seal holes in the carcass, however I would suspect fix a flat to work there too, prolly not as well, and the slime won't dry up.  I'm not a fan of the mess either of them make.

• Like 1

How much do you put in per tire?

Never had any luck running it in tubes, I use it in the Tubliss setup though.  I use about 6-8 pumps (in the half gallon size) in the front tire to give you an idea.

I am going down to Baja. Slime comes in a 8oz and 16oz bottle so should I put a 8 or 16? More?

I am going down to Baja. Slime comes in a 8oz and 16oz bottle so should I put a 8 or 16? More?

1 pump is approx 1 oz.

Are you using it in tubes?? If so I dont think I would bother.

I would just carry spare tubes and run higher than normal tire pressure.

Thanks Jason.  Yes, running xtra heavy tubes. I think I will throw an 8oz bottle in each just for a little peace of mind. Chris

Thanks Jason.  Yes, running xtra heavy tubes. I think I will throw an 8oz bottle in each just for a little peace of mind. Chris

Thats about right, they WILL however help if you hit some Cactus needles or something..but wont help pinch flats.  

Also bring some big ass heavy duty Zip Ties (those 1/4" wide ones) in case of a flat, you can zip tie around the tire in 3 places to keep it on the bead in a worst case scenario.

Edited by Speed-Freek
  • Like 2

I just happen to have some of those

• Like 1

slime sucks... it means you can't patch a tire....

when we went to baja unsupported, we carried 1 front and 1 rear tube between 3 riders... and a patch kit and bicycle pump... not numerous CO2....

learn to change a tire and patch a tube, you will be glad...

pay attention to where you ride... even happier!!

i had 2 flats in 3000 miles, another friend had 1.... the last friend had 11!!!

he only got a replacement tube after at least 5 patches...

I assume you mean Bridgestone UHD tubes, some of the other brands of UHD tubes aren't as thick (but also cheaper)

Have one in the af500 rear.  Not enough miles to say..  seemed smaller, lighter and more porous than the Bridgestone & Michelin of the same size

Last year I bought all kinds of tubes and tires to compare...  so far Bridgestone and Michelin UHD seem comparable...  below that the STI UHD...  then the Kenda HD Tuff Tube which is the least impressive out of the box...  time will tell.

Edited by BOLT aka Jeff
  • Like 1

slime sucks... it means you can't patch a tire....

when we went to baja unsupported, we carried 1 front and 1 rear tube between 3 riders... and a patch kit and bicycle pump... not numerous CO2....

learn to change a tire and patch a tube, you will be glad...

pay attention to where you ride... even happier!!

i had 2 flats in 3000 miles, another friend had 1.... the last friend had 11!!!

he only got a replacement tube after at least 5 patches...

were you running UHD tubes? Always heard they dont patch well...myth?

I just put one on the back of my Husky....lasted one event so far.  Different rubber compound for sure.

I once found a FLY racing UHD tube...it was fatty just like the michelin or the stones.  Bought it at a local shop for cheap, haven't seen it for sale since, but it was definitely a FLY racing tube.

were you running UHD tubes? Always heard they dont patch well...myth?

i always run the medium duty tube... can't remember the last time i had a pinch flat...

my buddy had a couple patches failing on his UHD tube only when riding high speeds on the blacktop for more than 15-20 minutes

in regards to the slime i have never put any in before a flat but to get me a few extra hours of ride time i have used it and it worked great. a new tube is allways better for piece of mind. i hope it works out for ya