Sign in to follow this  

California Help unloading in LA

Hi All, I'm here from Colorado working in LA for a month. I brought my Yamaha FJR1300 in the back of my pickup to get some suspension workicon1.png done and to ride rather than drive while I'm here in LA.

I'm looking for a place that has loading ramp or docks I can use to unload the bike...and then load it again when I leave in a month.  I am working and staying near Culver City.  I do not have loading ramp with me, cause can't do it alone anyway---don't really know anyone here, so trying to do this alone.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

Pete

Just drive around grocery stores, you are bound to find one that has a concrete loading dock/ramp in the back.  

Find someone with a Tommy lift, thats a option.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I ride my R1 up a aluminum ramp and take out no problem all the time. I've done it with Harley's too. And I'm 5'10" on a good day and only 155lbs. . .

Get some people where your working to spot you and just inch it out. No drama mama.   :ride:

Edited by jnr450r

My "trick" to solo loading and unloading. My dual sport is light and I just walk it up, easy peasy. But sport bikes and the one Harley I owned, I would push it up in gear. Then when you need to reposition, let clutch out and bike can't roll while you reposition yourself. Works better than brake. Then when you are repositioned to continue, pull in clutch and continue pushing. Use your thigh against a foot peg to help if needed. I've lifted some pretty heavy bikes into truck by myself. Out is same way, in gear. Stop it with brake, then release clutch to hold it while you move to wherever you need to move to. Hope this helps..

As for now since you have no ramp, ask a buddy or 2 to help. With friends, we've loaded lots of bikes with no ramp. Just watch your fingers. Don't hold onto a disc brake or rim to lift, etc. Saw a buddy dang near lose a finger when he lifted and wheel spun in his hand.

• Like 1

Oscar at Honda Dealer and Service in Marina Del Rey (ray?) loaned me a ramp and they helped me get it unloaded.  shout out to them and great thanks!  Thanks for the tips….most warehouse loading docks are too tall, or don't have a way to ground level…twice security chased me off trying…welcome to LA ..with a board or ramp it could be done easier at a truck height loading dock.

jnr450r>>> if you want to wheel my bike up your aluminum ramp into the back of my truck around June 8 in LA let me know and I'd appreciate your experience.  In a pinch I might try to do it by myself, but watching my 600 lbs FJR tumble from height when I lose my balance is not on my agenda when there are other options to explore.  No offense taken by the way.   :o 

jnr450r>>> if you want to wheel my bike up your aluminum ramp into the back of my truck around June 8 in LA let me know and I'd appreciate your experience.  In a pinch I might try to do it by myself, but watching my 600 lbs FJR tumble from height when I lose my balance is not on my agenda when there are other options to explore.  No offense taken by the way.   :o

I will gladly ride your beauty up a ramp for you. I'll even bring the ramp. .  :ride:

You know where to find me. Good luck   ;)

• Like 1