Sign in to follow this  

LED headlight at night, NOW with pictures.

The only LEDs I would run would be by rigid(which I currently use) or baja designs. In the LED game you get what you pay for and they don't come cheap. LEDs flat out destroy any other light source currently on the market. Way better than HID could ever dream of being

I won't even run rigids anymore. Baja designs or bust. I have an off-road shop next door and they are putting cheap Chinese or Taiwan crap on every truck bc it's the same as the rigids. The reflectors might be a little bit different but not enough for the 200% markup over the cheap stuff. One side of the light factory is making rigids, the other is making Chinese or Taiwan knock offs. Same extrusion and everything. Rigid just "assembles" their lights in the U.S.. Baja Designs might be as expensive as the rigids, but they are 3x the product. Rigid is coming out with their version of the Baja Designs Squadron. They had a couple guys running them on this year's Rip to Cabo.

The only LEDs I would run would be by rigid(which I currently use) or baja designs. In the LED game you get what you pay for and they don't come cheap. LEDs flat out destroy any other light source currently on the market. Way better than HID could ever dream of being

I won't even run rigids anymore. Baja designs or bust. I have an off-road shop next door and they are putting cheap Chinese or Taiwan crap on every truck bc it's the same as the rigids. The reflectors might be a little bit different but not enough for the 200% markup over the cheap stuff. One side of the light factory is making rigids, the other is making Chinese or Taiwan knock offs. Same extrusion and everything. Rigid just "assembles" their lights in the U.S.. Baja Designs might be as expensive as the rigids, but they are 3x the product. Rigid is coming out with their version of the Baja Designs Squadron. They had a couple guys running them on this year's Rip to Cabo.

Thanks, I know standalone LED lights by baja design or rigid or who ever are good, but I am not asking about a prepackaged light. I am asking about a LED bulb replacement that uses the OEM housing and if anyone has experience with it.

Mr Rong sorry to implicate you in the LED discussion you provided a diagram for a AC to DC converter that was part of a LED bulb discussion.  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1069910-is-this-the-holy-grail-of-low-cost-headlight-options/#entry11380355

Edited by rharr

The LEDs used in rigors lights are not the same as the cheap knock off ones

The LEDs used in rigors lights are not the same as the cheap knock off ones

A couple years ago, they might not have been the same. The Chinese move fast. They now use lexan or polycarbonate lenses, and Cree leds. Same as Rigids. Rigid might tune the lights a little to get longer life but that's it. Who's going to run lights on their truck for 50 years?

To the OP, get the light and try it. It's cheap enough. But remember that you'll be using the stock headlight reflector and housing which are not designed for LEDs.

So I decided to give the cyclops LED bulb a shot. Wired it up last night wired it to a tusk control switch I had for the horn button. Now I have off, high and low even though high doesn't really make a difference. Low by it's self is good enough. The end result: I am now able to see much better at night, I can actually see what is in front of me, granted it's no baja light but it's good enough for the occasional stuck on the trail at night or running around the road at night. I am running a stock stator and it does dim a bit at high revs but not enough to impact drive ability. I do need to call cyclops to make sure the fluctuating power won't damage the LED system. I'll report back what I find. The LED system does draw 20 watts on Low and 30 watts on High which is still lower then the stock incandescent bulb. If i have to i'll get a BD stator setup if i find the fluctuations are a problem. 

Here are some photos:

Stock system at LOW:

Please note there is some light coming from the system and does partial illuminate the road in front, just not enough for the camera to capture. If anyone else wants to take some stock headlight at dark pictures and post here it would be interesting to see your results. 

StockCRF450xheadlightsetup_zps6306c33e.j[/url]

LED system at LOW:

LEDCRF450xlowheadlightsetup_zps44836138.[/url]

I didn't bother to take a picture of high because all it does is activate the 3rd LED pad which is positioned on the bottom of the triangle and the OEM housing doesn't really have a way to reflect it so it adds a little more light over the front fender.  Thinking about it now, the OEM lens is set up to reflect light for the high beam  since they don't wire the low beam from the factory and when you install the LED bulb you end up with the low circuit pointing up instead of down so you get 2 LED pads using the upper part of the lens which is good and it does a good job pushing the light out. I suspect if i could some how flip the LED bulb 180 degrees so the 2 LED pads face down the light pattern won't be as good and if I turn on the high circuit it will be more noticeable. I am not going to mess with it since it is working well for my needs. 

Here is a wiring diagram showing how I did my wiring if anyone else wants to do this. 

CRF450XLEDHEADLIGHTWIREINGDIAGRAM_zpsa62[/url]

• Like 2

Some very bad info in this thread.

This particular product is a bulb, not an entire LED aux light,

Why would you think Cyclops offers Chinese made crap? In fact our aux lights are the best in the market with distance figures 2X what any other company can offer. All lifetime warrantied and Not Made In CHINA

I just installed the Cyclops LED on my GasGas.

It is a very bright light. I have mine wired on the low beam.

• Like 1

Some very bad info in this thread.

This particular product is a bulb, not an entire LED aux light,

Why would you think Cyclops offers Chinese made crap? In fact our aux lights are the best in the market with distance figures 2X what any other company can offer. All lifetime warrantied and Not Made In CHINA

I guess it's a good thing I was only talking about Rigid lights being no better than Chinese knock offs in that post than. Edited by n i c k
  • Like 4