Sign in to follow this  

Cam/Timing Chain Life Expectancy

What is the general life expectancy for a cam/timing chain?

I ask because I'm am riding out to Bike week tomorrow and there is a slight rattle, that could just be normal, but being as paranoid as I am, I need reassurance that I'll be fine. My SM is a 2007 with 19.8k miles on it and gets beat on a decent bit. I've put about 6.5k on it this year commuting without any problems. Had the valves adjusted at 18.9k and the oil changed. I'm changing the oil again now in preparation for the ride out to Myrtle which should be about 5 hours. Relevant: still has ACCT.

Gracias and any input is appreciated.

There's no answer to your question.

A chain can last 5000 miles or 40000 miles, depending on load, maintance and so on.

If you worry about your chain, take the valve cover of and check it for stretching.

Should take you 10 minutes.

I did my first cam chain at 15000 miles. Second one at 30000 and I ride the piss out of my bike with lots of technical NorCal single track. The second time I replaced the guides as well and it really made the motor purr a lot more quiet. Also MCCT is a must. If its just a slight rattle don't fear to take the trip as you will be fine. Go ride the weekend and don't worry about it until after the trip. 

• Like 1

Having an MCCT is an accurate way of monitoring cam chain wear....You can determine wear by how far the the adjuster bolt is wound in....

If you getting some rattles there is a good chance that your cam chain is worn....

• Like 1

i have a 06 s i was thinking do i need to install an mcct?

is it not just the early models 01-03 that give trouble?   

What is the general life expectancy for a cam/timing chain?

I ask because I'm am riding out to Bike week tomorrow and there is a slight rattle, that could just be normal, but being as paranoid as I am, I need reassurance that I'll be fine. My SM is a 2007 with 19.8k miles on it and gets beat on a decent bit. I've put about 6.5k on it this year commuting without any problems. Had the valves adjusted at 18.9k and the oil changed. I'm changing the oil again now in preparation for the ride out to Myrtle which should be about 5 hours. Relevant: still has ACCT.

Gracias and any input is appreciated.

i'd order a new chain (the klx version is cheaper) and a manual timing chain tensioner. the automagical is known for wearing out chains by over tensioning. order it now, it will be waiting for you when you get home. then you'll get 50,000 miles out of the chain instead of 10 or 20k.

• Like 1

Sorry to jump in but can someone link me to a camchain DIY guide? Just ordered one.

Sorry to jump in but can someone link me to a camchain DIY guide? Just ordered one.

there really isnt much to it, if this idiot can do it:

anyone can 

• Like 4