Sign in to follow this  

11' 350XCF Stalling out During Idle

So my 11' 350XCF has acted up a bit recently. My last race was an absolute mudfest, with the second set of motos actually getting canceled because the track was so unusable. I would say I lost 75% of my coolant during the race due to overheating. (Of course topped the bike off after the race) Anyways, after this race my bike which was running 100% normal before hand started acting up. Basically it does not want to idle for more than maybe 5 seconds, however it runs decent. The FI light does not come on. While I scrambled to get it ready for 2nd moto's before they got canceled, I ran the bike back and forth on a path for maybe 10 minutes to try and see if the problem would clear up. I remember being able to get it to idle fine while waiting on the line. I didn't actually do anything to the bike, just by running it, it cleared up. However now that it sat for a few days before I could start working on it, the idling problem is back. I am currently in a tear down stage getting the bike prepped for my race this weekend.

I have had a similar problem in the past, but it ended up being the Throttle Position Sensor. When this happened, the FI light was giving me error codes. That is not the case now. The bike is giving no signs to problems, other than stalling during idle. I will be cleaning the fuel lines to make sure they're spotless as well as replacing the inline fuel filter. I find it hard to believe that it could be debris in the fuel line or even injector, since I run a fuel sock, and the inline fuel filters. The airboot was absolutely spotless when I took the filter out, so no debris got directly into the motor. Once I clean the fuel line/replace the inline fuel filter and change the oil, and the bike still cuts out at idle, i'm going to be rather concerned. I don't know what it could be.

Here's the footage from the race, if you want to see how bad the track was and how bad my bike was overheating.

If anyone has experienced this before or know likely causes to these symptoms, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks

Edited by motonack

The fuel filter can cause many problems and the sock imo doesn't do anything useful

Okay so I have figured out what is wrong with my bike.  (At least one of the problems)  My fuel pump is fried, and is not pushing the fuel out at adequate pressure. (Bars) I am wondering what people may have found to work as a replacement for their 2011+ FI KTM's.  (I would assume they all use the same fuel pump)  So far I have only found two solutions and both have major cons so far.  The OEM fuel pump kit is $525.  That is outrageous.  There is an aftermarket pump from Ca-Cycleworks that is only $129.  This looks promising, but it doesn't list newer bikes as compatible.  Also, why is the price difference so great? The crazy price difference just doesn't seem to make sense. If anyone has any experience with replacing a KTM fuel pump please chime in.  

OEM Fuel Pump:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/OEMFINDER.html#/KTM/350_SX-F_Chassis_-_2011/Fuel_Pump/23%7c%7e23%7c%7e0005/23%7c%7e23%7c%7e0025

Aftermarket Fuel Pump: (Ca-Cycleworks)

http://www.ktm-parts.com/FP-HUS.html

and 

http://ca-cycleworks.com/fp-hus-5680

I have also found this aftermarket fuel pump from High Flow Fuel.  Even this pump doesn't specify if it is compatible with my machine, and this one is even cheaper.  What the heck.

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-8927687-new-30mm-intank-efi-fuel-pump-ktm-390-450-570-2009-2012.html

Edited by motonack

Is your pump different to the sxf? As it seems to fit all late model ktms? This is the cycle works one

I upgraded the the galon fuel filter as well as samco fuel hoses.

I would look into your idle air needle and make sure its open enough for your engine to run. I have my bike idling at 1950rpm. I would love a lower rpm, but i cant get it to stay runnin...