Sign in to follow this  

YZ-250 for Beginner (sort of)

So I've been riding mountain bikes on some of huge toughest terrain in the eastern us since I was 3, and never fall off a bike unless I nail or tree or slide on a root. However, I've never ridden a dirtbike. Before you say I'm too young (13) or too small, please realize I weight 200 pounds and am pretty tall for my age (around 5'8"). I was thinking if I maybe put a fly wheel weight on it or something else it wouldn't be too bad. I realize it's a lot of power but I'm mature for my age and I feel I could respect the. I also wouldn't be trying super huge jumps, probable nothing more than 3 feet high. I know it's a big bike, but like I said I'm not immature at all and have been riding mountain bikes all my life.

Thanks, so you have any suggestions on how the yz250 could be improved for woods riding that are beginner rider friendly?

I'm 23 and own a ya 250 if your weight and height is not a lie then your in the ballpark. However a 250 2 stroke is a different world than a mountaimbike. Good news is you probably have good posture and balance from riding the bike. I say go for it I have a 14 year old neighbor riding a kfx 450. I have a 2014 and ride it stock in the woods just set your suspension and keep it revved

I'm 23 and own a ya 250 if your weight and height is not a lie then your in the ballpark. However a 250 2 stroke is a different world than a mountaimbike. Good news is you probably have good posture and balance from riding the bike. I say go for it I have a 14 year old neighbor riding a kfx 450. I have a 2014 and ride it stock in the woods just set your suspension and keep it revved

Edited by justin1478963

Try a search, lots of great info.

Here's my setup, all for making the bike smoother.

Proper jetting

Rekluse EXP auto clutch

13oz flywheel weight

retarded timing -5 degrees

Dirt Tamer throttle tube

Gnarly pipe/stock muffler

This setup is a huge difference from stock but it will still lift the front tire as high as you want anytime you want.

Im 25 and have been riding street bikes for 6-7 years but just now got into dirt riding. I bought a 2010 yz250 as my first bike and love it. I immediately put a 11oz Steahly flywheel weight in it. I have learned to respect the throttle on the street but its a must for the yz250. It has tons of power but you can harness it with some control and effort. 

Go for it!

Matt

Gearing is a huge part of riding.  Normally 2 strokes are a little flat on the bottom and really like to get in the pipe.  In the woods or trails, I would run a lower final gear (slower and more low speed power).  You can add a few teeth to the back or take one tooth off the front.  Get a gear chart and document everything you do and get a service manual off ebay.

http://www.protaper.com/tech-support/gear-ratio-chart/

take your time and enjoy the ride, stupidity is expensive!

You can learn to ride on a YZ 250 if you are are conscious about how you ride it.  But it will get you into trouble, it will scare you, and it may stunt your development because you will be afraid to ride it hard.  Doing drills in your driveway to teach you throttle and clutch control is a must.  Turning circles with the handle bars against the stop and using the clutch and throttle to keep you upright is perfect.  If you do that, you can take it out on the trails and give it hell.

Ok thanks guys. Very helpful information. Whenever I find the right one on craigslist I'll jump on it. I would like to spend less than $1200 as a first bike. I know a decent amount about engines but do you think it's possible to get a decent rider for under $1200-$1400?

im 5'10" and i had a hard time touching the ground on mine until i shaved the seat. You may want to sit on one before making a final decision 

Sweet. I believe my mountain bike seat is about 36" right give or take. And since the shocks should lower a little more and if I shave the seat, the 39" height should be manageable.

Do any of you know what the lowest safe gearing to reduce speed and give more torque in a dirtbike. Would a 12/54 gearing be safe? Could I do any lower?

Way too much bike for a beginner, hell I've been riding for years and it's still too much bike. I would suggest a 250 four stroke but either way good luck finding a running bike for $1200. Keep in mind you'll also want proper riding gear as well...

Way too much bike for a beginner, hell I've been riding for years and it's still too much bike. I would suggest a 250 four stroke but either way good luck finding a running bike for $1200. Keep in mind you'll also want proper riding gear as well...

^ This. Most experienced riders forget about the fear and frustration trying to ride a bike that is too big or power-full. A 250 4 stroke would be a good compromise. Unfortunately you are going to have to increase your budget to buy a descent bike. Most of the bikes in the 12-1400 price range are usually clapped out. I too ride mountain bike (trail - DH) and find dirt bikes a whole new ball game.