Sign in to follow this  

Kx 500 Questions

Looking at owning my first Kx500 tomorrow. The bike in question isnt in great shape but the plan is to tear it down and make it as fresh as possible!!

My questions are these:

Are parts easy to get? Oem parts to after market?

What are common issues on the older Kx500's ?

Any and all info welcome!!

No ideas the issues, but there's plenty of websites with oem diagrams to order from. Motosports is easy to use and pretty extensive, i use it to get the part number then Google it and look for the cheapest

• Like 1

The seller says its 1987, but im sure alot of the parts didnt change all the way up to 04 (other then gears and some internals), of course im only guessing here i havent investigated too much just yet

The seller says its 1987, but im sure alot of the parts didnt change all the way up to 04 (other then gears and some internals), of course im only guessing here i havent investigated too much just yet

Your wrong the motor looks the same and general design is the same but make sure that you can get a clutch basket for that year. My first kx500 was a 88 and had an smaller hub size. The 91' and up have basically same engine.

• Like 1

Powervalve parts are discontinued for 88 and below KX500s. They are the 2 pv engines. 89 - 04 are 3.

Edited by zz3gmc
  • Like 1

Cheers for the info guys, I suspect the bike to be 95-96 but ill only know when i get a good look at it in person. Thanks for the info so far

Cheers for the info guys, I suspect the bike to be 95-96 but ill only know when i get a good look at it in person. Thanks for the info so far

hey, did you snag the big 5 honey ? so how is it, what year, shape ? put up a pic...Roost

hey, did you snag the big 5 honey ? so how is it, what year, shape ? put up a pic...Roost

Hi, unfortunately when i got out to look at the bike it was way beyond repair. I would have loved to save it but they guy wanted big money and wasnt willing to even start the bike for me to see if it ran. I had cash in hand!

I bought a ktm 250sx to get my two stroke fix for a while but still on the lookout for a nice kx500, may have to import one from the states next year

• Like 1

Hi, unfortunately when i got out to look at the bike it was way beyond repair. I would have loved to save it but they guy wanted big money and wasnt willing to even start the bike for me to see if it ran. I had cash in hand!

I bought a ktm 250sx to get my two stroke fix for a while but still on the lookout for a nice kx500, may have to import one from the states next year

good move on your part, be patient and keep looking, there is no feeling on earth like going through the gears on a 500cc 2-stroke