Sign in to follow this  

This Darn Idle screw.

When im adjusting my tt extended fuel screw does this white screw thing matter at all? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400109460.059904.jpgI messed with it before and after i rejetted/3x3.

Could anyone let me know the stock setting for this so i can finally get my fuel screw adjustment down pat?

The white knob adjusts the idle speed (you want it at 1700-1800 RPM), the fuel screw adjusts the A/F mixture of at idle.

Set the idle speed, then adjust the fuel screw.

• Like 1

The white knob adjusts the idle speed (you want it at 1700-1800 RPM), the fuel screw adjusts the A/F mixture of at idle.

Set the idle speed, then adjust the fuel screw.

But how do I know what rpms im at?

Either purchase a tach or do it by ear.  tTakes a bit of experience to do it accurate by ear.  You should be able to get close tho, at least +/- 200rpm.

What avis said. A popular tach to get is a Trail Tech one. Thats going to be one of my next purchases. You can either get just a tach for 30 bucks or a whole new speedo that has a tach for more. The trail tech vapor.

• Like 1

Either purchase a tach or do it by ear.  tTakes a bit of experience to do it accurate by ear.  You should be able to get close tho, at least +/- 200rpm.

Before i had me tech i did it by ear too,  i was at 1300 rpm's...    a TTO $30 tacho is a nice piece for sure imo.

im broke as o right now, so no tach yet... theres no like "this many turns out"? or something like that?

Set the fuel screw using this procedure..http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/271735-how-to-confirm-your-pilot-circuit-setting/

It's no problem to have a high idle speed, if you have stalling issues the idle is set too low....

• Like 1

Set the fuel screw using this procedure..http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/271735-how-to-confirm-your-pilot-circuit-setting/

It's no problem to have a high idle speed, if you have stalling issues the idle is set too low....

+1 - do this! a correctly set fuel screw makes a very noticeable difference! the bike sounds a bit different, throttle response is better, and any niggling hanging idle or bog will be lessened

during the adjustment procedure the idle may jump higher (as if on choke), if it does this then turn down the idle screw a bit and readjust the fuel screw - there is some interplay ... with the correct pilot jet there is a clear sweet spot on the fuel screw - you will be able to reach the correct idle with the idle screw further in than if the fuel screw isn't well adjusted

• Like 1

Before i had me tech i did it by ear too,  i was at 1300 rpm's...    a TTO $30 tacho is a nice piece for sure imo.

I just installed one of these TTO tach/hour meters the other day and I must say Im pretty happy with it. I initially thought it was inaccurate from looking at it while doing quick blips in neutral, but a little 30min drive proved to be very accurate. I noted the following readings, 43mph indicated in 4th gear = ~5000rpm and 54mph in 5th gear = ~5000rpm. Now if you use www.gearingcommander.com you'll see those numbers are almost spot on given the fact the stock speedo is a bit fast. I guess blipping the throttle in neutral may be a bit off but seems to work great while the engine is under a load and throttle is at least somewhat constant. Great deal for $30. Only con is lack of a good mounting system, but I just cut a piece of plastic and mounted it to the handle bar clamps.

• Like 1

I just installed one of these TTO tach/hour meters the other day and I must say Im pretty happy with it. I initially thought it was inaccurate from looking at it while doing quick blips in neutral, but a little 30min drive proved to be very accurate. I noted the following readings, 43mph indicated in 4th gear = ~5000rpm and 54mph in 5th gear = ~5000rpm. Now if you use www.gearingcommander.com you'll see those numbers are almost spot on given the fact the stock speedo is a bit fast. I guess blipping the throttle in neutral may be a bit off but seems to work great while the engine is under a load and throttle is at least somewhat constant. Great deal for $30. Only con is lack of a good mounting system, but I just cut a piece of plastic and mounted it to the handle bar clamps.

Pics...????

Pics...????

I installed a TTO a few weeks ago.  This is how I mounted it.

IMG_3998.jpg

It wasnt suposed to be a permemnat mouting spot but I kinda grew to like it!

Also the reason why it dosent seem to work when blipping the trottle in neutral is due to the refresh rate of the reading.  It can be set for 0.5 seconds or 1 second.  Both of which arent the fastest response.
Edited by avis
  • Like 1

Pics...????

Sure thing.

First I needed a good solid piece of flat plastic to create the bracket. I picked up a 3 pack of these trays from Wal-mart for like $.99.

I cut one of them down and cut out a section of the bottom to give me a small flat piece of plastic. I used a pair of plastic snips to cut it out

but I figure a good pair of scissors or a razor would work just fine. I don't have metal fab facilities but Im sure a good metal fab person could

make one of these out of metal.

CutTray_zpsf1b423e2.jpg

Then I trimmed up the flat piece of plastic so that it would fit on top of the handlebar clamp bolt. I actually messed up the 1st try and cut it too small so the 2nd time

I trimmed it a bit large so that I had more room to work on the plastic. The plastic was so soft I just cut the bolt hole out with snips too and then used #6 self tapping wood

screws to secure the tach to the mount. The tach actually sits on top of the bolt, which actually gives me room to slip a screwdriver under there to flip the reset button

without having to remove the tach.

Mounted_zps8739a989.jpg

Here's view from the "normal rider position".

Final_zpsdfc6d5a8.jpg

Left to do:

- Decide which handlebar bolt I want it to stay on, the front left is pretty good, but I may move it to the front right to get it away from the key, it could be mounted on any of the 4 bolts

- trim down the plastic a bit more and clean up the mount

• Like 1