Sign in to follow this  

Reverse shifting (MotoGp shift)

Is there anyway to transform our dirtbike transmissions into 'reverse shifting'?  I think it's way cooler that way (and makes more sense in a way... well depends on how you see it, I suppose). though it could get a bit confusing and screw up your train of thoughts when hopping onto 'normal' shifting motorcycles.

First of all no, I doubt you could do that.

But way more importantly you would never want to. No offense, but you've been posting threads about whatever question comes to your mind. Get some time out on your bike (more than 20 minutes in the street) and many of these questions like this will magically disappear.

You will quickly realize that what's "cool" doesn't matter and frankly is totally impractical.

You'll find yourself flying into a corner on the brakes hard, with your left foot slamming the shifter down as fast as you can anywhere from 2-5 times (especially on a 125) in a row. Now think about this: are you gonna put your foot under the shifter, and move it up, then let it come back down and do this 3 more times while standing up, hanging your butt over the rear fender, and standing on the rear brake?

That's a rhetorical question, because you're not. It's physically impossible.

• Like 3

Flip the bike upside down.

Bam, 1 up, 4/5 down.

• Like 8

The only reason GP shift pattern exists is because on long sweeper corners at full lean they need to upshift. They can't do this by putting their foot under the shifter as they don't have the ground clearance.

This scenario isn't a concern on a dirt bike as any corner where you are that far leaned over isn't long enough to warrant an upshift half way through.

• Like 4

Why?  Reverse shift only exists because riders can't get their foot under the shifter during the extreme lean angles seen on corner exits only on Moto GP bikes.  The Moto GP bikes have way more contact patch on the side of the tire than they do straight up so they try to get much acceleration done with lean angle.  None of this applies to anything off-road.  Down shifts are the hardest to do and require the most force so you want to be able to put your weight into it.  You never want to get screwed trying to exit a corner in too high a gear.

• Like 1

The only reason GP shift pattern exists is because on long sweeper corners at full lean they need to upshift. They can't do this by putting their foot under the shifter as they don't have the ground clearance.

This scenario isn't a concern on a dirt bike as any corner where you are that far leaned over isn't long enough to warrant an upshift half way through.

Right. Think in basic terms--when the throttle is on, your body positioning is leaning back, making your foot easier to rotate upward to upshift. Slamming the brakes, it's easier to downshift bc ur body is bring thrown forward hence making the downward rotation of ur ankles on the pegs easier.

Unlike GP bikes, there's no practical reason to change the shift pattern of the traditional one down four up tranny.

Dang thats a good idea. While youre at it, a rear brake that you pull up and a clutch that you push forward also sound like some pretty good ideas. Heck install a reverse gear and ride backward since riding normally is not cool enough.

• Like 1

To be fair and maybe put some things into perspective, I roadraced for years and found that the GP shift was the way to go for me.  So I changed my streetbike to GP shift to match my racebike.  That only left my YZ in standard shift mode.  This is where the problems lie.  I would have to think when I shifted, which direction I was supposed to go.  It wasn't bad if I was slowing down and accidentally upshifted to a higher gear, but when I was accelerating and downshifted to a lower gear, it got ugly fast.

Because of this, I too looked for a way to change my YZ to GP shift, unsuccessfully I might add.

Maybe that's why the OP is asking about the same thing?

Dave

ON EDIT:  I just saw some of his other posts, including the one about wanting to buy a streetbike someday.  Consider my post above to be irrelevant and nothing more than a cool story.

Edited by Decreasing Dave
  • Like 1

To be fair and maybe put some things into perspective, I roadraced for years and found that the GP shift was the way to go for me.  So I changed my streetbike to GP shift to match my racebike.  That only left my YZ in standard shift mode.  This is where the problems lie.  I would have to think when I shifted, which direction I was supposed to go.  It wasn't bad if I was slowing down and accidentally upshifted to a higher gear, but when I was accelerating and downshifted to a lower gear, it got ugly fast.

Because of this, I too looked for a way to change my YZ to GP shift, unsuccessfully I might add.

Maybe that's why the OP is asking about the same thing?

Dave

ON EDIT:  I just saw some of his other posts, including the one about wanting to buy a streetbike someday.  Consider my post above to be irrelevant and nothing more than a cool story.

Too late

Your foolish idea is now immortalized FOREVER

I love the interweb

• Like 1

@Decreasing Dave ... OMG, you can see our other posts :shocked: .  Just kidding, as the OP question appears to have been answered, I'm just curious as to what you ended up doing?  Did you switch all your bikes back to 'normal' shift?  I ask b/c I did the same as you, my track & street bikes are reverse shift.  Then I got my XRR.  This past weekend, on my VFR,  I accidentally went down when I should've gone up.  That is a butt puckering moment I'll tell ya.

ACE

@Decreasing Dave ... OMG, you can see our other posts :shocked: . Just kidding, as the OP question appears to have been answered, I'm just curious as to what you ended up doing? Did you switch all your bikes back to 'normal' shift? I ask b/c I did the same as you, my track & street bikes are reverse shift. Then I got my XRR. This past weekend, on my VFR, I accidentally went down when I should've gone up. That is a butt puckering moment I'll tell ya.

ACE

The OP is a troll look at his other post.

The OP is a troll look at his other post.

Granted ... but I still wonder how DD dealt with the back/forth of differing shift patterns.  Although from further reading, it appears that most folks just work with it, thx.

ACE

hahaha dude. Please think before posting

Oh he does..  He thinks VERY hard about "what stupid question can I ask next?".  :lol:

I remember those old Honda trikes that had the gears all down...neutral at the top.

• Like 1

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times.

I don't even shift!