Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle Mechanics School in South Carolina?

Hellooo,

I am moving from WA to SC and am wondering what schools down there offer motorcycle mechanics programs?

Sorry for the uninformed reply, but I only know of UTI in Houston and WyoTech in Wyoming.

Working in a local shop would take longer and be a harder road, but it would gain you the necessary experience for mechanic work. You'll be tinkering on mostly street bikes if you wanna make any money; dirt bikers work on their own bikes mostly.

MMI only has two campuses. Phoenix, Az and Daytona Beach, Fl.

Check local community colleges. That's the route I went and I'm working in a shop now. It's entry level, but I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

• Like 1

take gprairie's advise !!!  why your in school find a part time job in a motorcycle shop... doesn't mater what it is sweep up , work the parts counter, sales, anything and everything you can learn is important to learn if this is going to be how you make a living.... don't spend 10,000's of thousands of dollars at mmi or ??? and start at 8/9 bucks a hour .... the dealer can send you to school , so find a job at a big shop. Honda, Yamaha , Harley, stay away from mom and pop shops that can't offer you certified training. good luck  :thumbsup:

Harley only hires MMI Grads. Believe me I tried. I work for a Yamaha Suzuki Dealer. I went to my local community college for Motorcycle Tech.

Look around and apply for Parts or Setup tech/Porter. That's gets your foot in the door. That's what I did and I love every second of my job, well career.

Any more questions ask away. If I can answer them I will.

Thanks guys!! Yeah I got an opportunity to sell motor clothes / gear at Harley but I couldn't take the position because I was moving. So, I was going to try foothills motorsports, motorsports of greenville, and cycle gear. But, a lot of the shops in WA have a "one girl per shop" rule so I don't know if it applies down there as well. I was going to call those shops and kind of get my name out there, but would it be more beneficial to call like the week before I go down, or wait till I get there to go there in person? 

Make sure you have a good resume, I would call as many shops as you can. Once you get settled, hit the pavement and knock on doors till you get a position. That's what I did. Had a couple of interviews then got what I wanted.

Will do ! I actually called Cycle Gear Friday and got a phone interview right on the spot and it went pretty well. Now I just gotta wait 3 more weeks to go in for an actual interview.