Sign in to follow this  

1983 XR200R No Spark

Hey guys I'm new to thumper talk so hope this is the right section to post this, and I'm also new to bikes so I only have a basic knowledge of the electrical system(so bare with me). So I bought a 1983 XR200R the other week, started up fine when at the guys house and again when home was running abit rough though. Got someone that knew what they were doing to adjust the valves for me and got the carby cleaned out good. So everything's all good I was just waiting on an exhaust gasket that was in the mail, so it was sitting for probably another week and when I went to start it.. Nothing.. Checked the spark and no spark at all. I've done heaps of searching for testing the stator, pulse generator, CDI Unit and coil. I've found some stuff although it does not have voltages or ohms readings, I know I should just get a service manual but just don't have the money atm and I want it running for this weekend hopefully. So basically I've tested the stator, pulse generator and then stop getting voltage anywhere after the CDI. But the voltage I'm getting from the stator Black/Red- Ground is only 36volts and occasionally 50vAC. Yellow- Earth is 1.6Volts AC. Pink- Earth is 2.5Volts AC and Yellow- Pink is 2.39Volts AC. On the Pulse Generator I'm getting Blue- Green is 0.03- 0.40Volts AC. I know it's unlikely someone will know the exact voltage it should be but was just hoping for a rough idea because the CDI could be fine and just not getting enough voltage to push any current through to the coil. And don't want to go buy a new CDI If it's the stator. Ive also tried roll starting it in 2nd and 3rd down a small hill to give the stator a bit more rpm but still nothing. Hope someone has some ideas, thanks in advance, Ray.

Double, check the grounds. If the cdi isn't grounded to the frame properly it won't spark.

Put a new know plug in it.

Thanks for your input, so I bought a another cdi unit from the wreckers, didn't work, added a ground to the outside body of it and started working I just get a poor orange/white spark (which is a lot better than no spark I guess) and can only start it by push starting down a hill... Any ideas? I don't seem to have any lights working any more either, would that point more towards the stator being rooted? Cheers Ray