Sign in to follow this  

Cutting stock 07 silencer?

Hey guys and gals,

I want to cut down the stock silencer on my 07 450 to look more sleek having the tip just to the end of the number plate, I know it will make the bike a little louder but would it have any adverse effects on the performance of the bike? Would you recommend to do this or not?

I think that's a great idea too. Interested to hear if there's any neg reasons not to do this

I think it would look much more sleek but hoping to find out if it will effect the performance if it looses power it'll stay stock lol

I've done it man it's simple and just a touch louder, no real change in power. Cut the can of the silencer from the bottom it's easier to drill the holes the bolts go in as opposed to drilling holes and re-riveting the end cap, and you'll have to cut the packing and the inner tube, as well a couple slots have to be cut in the inner tube at the end so it's small enough to fit into the end cap as the full inner tube is tapered if that makes any sense to you lol. Start by cutting about 5 1/2" off the can and work the core until it fits, good luck.

• Like 1

I've done it man it's simple and just a touch louder, no real change in power. Cut the can of the silencer from the bottom it's easier to drill the holes the bolts go in as opposed to drilling holes and re-riveting the end cap, and you'll have to cut the packing and the inner tube, as well a couple slots have to be cut in the inner tube at the end so it's small enough to fit into the end cap as the full inner tube is tapered if that makes any sense to you lol. Start by cutting about 5 1/2" off the can and work the core until it fits, good luck.

...Dont forget to zip tie the muff can to the subframe when the hanger is 5" away from original bolt hole 

I think I'm going to try mine from the end cap side though. Thanks for the feed back

I think I'm going to try mine from the end cap side though. Thanks for the feed back

My friend has done this on his crf and yz450f just be careful not to go to short or you loose to much back pressure. He had to buy a new muffler and do it again a little longer. It does make it louder but it looks good.