Is a 500 exc too much?

I've ridden a 450 before and currently have a 250 2t but I've been looking between the 350 exc and 500 exc and the maintenance on the 500 seems considerably easier... my question is how much of a beast is the 500??? I know the crank is heavier than a 450 mx bike but does it still try to rip your arms off? I watched a review and the test rider said he felt like any skill level could ride the bike but then I watch other videos of guys blazing across crazy stuff.. can a real world rider give me their comparison

Depends where you ride. Coming from a farkled drz, The 500 is a handfull in the tight trails. First/2nd gear stuff (13/50 gearing). This is when i would rather the 350. Everywhere else i love the 500. Probably doesnt have the initial hit the 450 does but lacks no power thats is for sure

I think the 500 is a wonderful blend of smoothness and torque, it feels almost electric with no real hit to the power anywhere and plenty of torque everywhere.  It's very easy to ride it lazily.  Below about 1/3 throttle it's super smooth and docile, but as you get past 1/2 throttle it really starts to pull hard.  But even at small throttle openings it oozes torque, like a diesel.  The valve adjustment procedure does look to be much easier than the 350, that's a major selling point for guys like me who have limited free time.  I think you would find the 500 very easy to ride if you're reasonable with the throttle, and a real handful if you go twisting it like it's a 125 2t.  I think these guys did a great comparison:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/2014-ktm-350-exc-vs-500-exc-comparison-video/

• Like 1

I think the 500 is a wonderful blend of smoothness and torque, it feels almost electric with no real hit to the power anywhere and plenty of torque everywhere.  It's very easy to ride it lazily.  Below about 1/3 throttle it's super smooth and docile, but as you get past 1/2 throttle it really starts to pull hard.  But even at small throttle openings it oozes torque, like a diesel.  The valve adjustment procedure does look to be much easier than the 350, that's a major selling point for guys like me who have limited free time.  I think you would find the 500 very easy to ride if you're reasonable with the throttle, and a real handful if you go twisting it like it's a 125 2t.  I think these guys did a great comparison:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/2014-ktm-350-exc-vs-500-exc-comparison-video/

Perfect description. 

I love my 500 more and more, every time i take it out. 

• Like 1

I had a few close calls on my 450 with a high comp piston but loved the power i just wondered if the 500 has more jerk to it or if its slightly tamer because of the heavier crank...

the 450 has the same rod as the 500, I think the crank is the same too

i had a carb 450 and now a FI 500. I love my 500.  Last Sunday I was on a short stretch of clear pavement out in a remote area and I opened it up from 60.  Lifted the front end up in 5th and finally came to rest at 93 still pulling with 13:52 gearing.  The 500 is a hoot, but deserves a healthy amount of respect.  It may even be able to beat my car in a ¼ mile.

• Like 2

I think the 500 is a wonderful blend of smoothness and torque, it feels almost electric with no real hit to the power anywhere and plenty of torque everywhere.  It's very easy to ride it lazily.  Below about 1/3 throttle it's super smooth and docile, but as you get past 1/2 throttle it really starts to pull hard.  But even at small throttle openings it oozes torque, like a diesel.  The valve adjustment procedure does look to be much easier than the 350, that's a major selling point for guys like me who have limited free time.  I think you would find the 500 very easy to ride if you're reasonable with the throttle, and a real handful if you go twisting it like it's a 125 2t. ...

Ditto on the way that this reads. This is a VERY accurate description of the bike.

But, one thing stuck out in the OP's post:

... I know the crank is heavier than a 450 mx bike but does it still try to rip your arms off? ...

While I wouldn't say that it would "rip your arms off", that doesn't mean that you don't have to be careful with it. Where I find it to be the most unruly, is when I'm in some technical, especially rocky stuff, and the bike is rocking around, and jumping around, and my hand rolls the throttle on accidentally, NOT intending to. In those situations, it WILL try and rip your arms off, and you off, and you have to be ready for that.

I think that mostly comes from the FI, though. It is very VERY responsive, and you just have to be aware of that and ready for that.

Other than that, I think that descriptions here are very spot on about how it performs and acts...

CADman_KS

• Like 2

My buddy is coming off of a 07 YZ450 to the 500 and it wears him out faster than his YZ. Mainly because of the strong torque pull at lower rpm. The YZ lived on the top end even with a flywheel weight whereas the 500 is happy in the low/mid with an abundance of torque and power. This bike can be a handful for lighter or less experienced riders but like others have stated very manageable with smooth throttle control.

Edited by KTMPete
  • Like 1

Ditto on the way that this reads. This is a VERY accurate description of the bike.

But, one thing stuck out in the OP's post:

While I wouldn't say that it would "rip your arms off", that doesn't mean that you don't have to be careful with it. Where I find it to be the most unruly, is when I'm in some technical, especially rocky stuff, and the bike is rocking around, and jumping around, and my hand rolls the throttle on accidentally, NOT intending to. In those situations, it WILL try and rip your arms off, and you off, and you have to be ready for that.

I think that mostly comes from the FI, though. It is very VERY responsive, and you just have to be aware of that and ready for that.

Other than that, I think that descriptions here are very spot on about how it performs and actsthe

I just installed the G2 throttle tamer on my 2014 500,and it is the best thing I have ever installed on a bike. Before I was all over the place in tight rocky single track. Crashed 4 times in one day,now with the G2 total control. Going up and down hill sections with baby head rocks scattered all over and still was able to keep it on the trial and no more wheel spin. Well worth the money.  PS... and I dont work for G2.   ?

• Like 2

I just installed the G2 throttle tamer on my 2014 500,and it is the best thing I have ever installed on a bike. Before I was all over the place in tight rocky single track. Crashed 4 times in one day,now with the G2 total control. Going up and down hill sections with baby head rocks scattered all over and still was able to keep it on the trial and no more wheel spin. Well worth the money. PS... and I dont work for G2. ?

Have to agree I have one on my yz250 that is set up for harescrambles and it was a great investment. ..

• Like 1

With a Rekluse the 500 is Fan-Friggin-tastic.  Allows you to pull a gear higher in tight stuff and still have the power when you need it.  Coming from the 450 I am able to do more.  After remapping the ECU the FI is spot on.  Anybody who says the 500 is too much should stay on their TTR.  :goofy:

I just installed the G2 throttle tamer on my 2014 500,and it is the best thing I have ever installed on a bike. Before I was all over the place in tight rocky single track. Crashed 4 times in one day,now with the G2 total control. Going up and down hill sections with baby head rocks scattered all over and still was able to keep it on the trial and no more wheel spin. Well worth the money.  PS... and I dont work for G2.   ?

Exactly what happened to me nad I did the same. The FI reacted so fast in the baby head sections and going up rock and log strewn trails it became uncontrollable.
  • Like 1

All really good depictions of the 500 motor.  For me I was coming off a CRF450R and this motor was nothing like the CR.  Like said above, the power is smooth all the way through, and you really have no hard hits other than 1st gear which makes the tight and technical stuff a bit more challenging.  I can't get over the smoothness of the suspension, ease of the clutch, and the brakes are unbelievable! Back to the motor………I was lacking the roll-on punch so I re-geared to a 14-50 setup, de-smogged, re-mapped, and that was all key to make the motor run so much smoother and quieter.  I am 200 lbs plus gear, so the bike has a harder time lofting the front tire unless I am in one gear lower than you would think.  I probably could play with more clutch at times, but don't mind running in either rpm range….the bike has no preference.  I often do 80 mile rides and find myself loving this bike more and more all the time.  "Miles of Smiles" is what my mantra is now.  I could use a bit stiffer suspension on harder hits as I have bottomed it out a few times now and left my skid plate behind on the trail which makes me consider a re-valve, but I don't want to lose the smoothness of the suspension when ripping through the high-speed rides.  More to come on that:)  KTM made me a believer!

• Like 1