Sign in to follow this  

Fork oil top up

Is it possible to top up oil on a Ktm 450 xcw fork without taking it apart? In a pinch no time to get seals done before the weekend. How low on oil have people ran their forks? What could happen if I ride with 1 fork low on oil? Thank you for the help

You can but normally a leaking seal does not loose much oil , it might bottom and leak onto brake

leaky fork seals generally do not need to be replaced...just cleaned. they get dirt trapped under them and it breaks the seal. you just gotta clean the dirt out. takes a few minutes.

the seal doctor works really well:

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Seal_Doctor_Page.html#.U3TCFCj4TUY

motion pro also makes a tool that costs less, but is not quite as easy to use. you can also use a piece of 35mm film or a feeler gauge.

i find the seal doctor to be the easiest to use and to work most consistently, though.

Seal doctor cut my son's seal resulting in bigger leak. These work but be careful when doing it. You can add oil thru the bleed hole on the cap. Get yourself a syringe and squire oil in if you want. Your forks will balance out,,,, softer but will balance.