Sign in to follow this  

Cause for Concern (carb casting)

I had the carb from my 2007 CRF230F apart for cleaning last weekend and this is what I saw.  It looks like a bad casting and residue flakes off when I rub it with my finger.  Is this a manufacturer defect or could this have been caused by stale fuel?  Is this carb junk/should I replace it asap?  FYI, I just bought the bike earlier this month and the seller said it has hardly ever been ridden and sat for a couple years in a trailer.  He said he drained the tank, but didn't mention draining the carb.  When cleaning it, I removed a metal shaving from inside the air cutoff valve, and when I changed the oil there was quite a bit of debris on the strainer.  I didn't pay close enough attention to see if there were any metal shavings caught in the strainer--it appeared to be mostly organic.  I bet it was caused by a combination of stale fuel and ethanol :rant:  :cry:

2iqyfsx.jpg

vyt9ua.jpg

Edited by mossman77

I have to imagine stale fuel sitting in the float bowl for years contributed as well. I'll be replacing the carb to be on the safe side. I'll harvest the old one and sell the parts, or just keep them as spares.