Sign in to follow this  

Did I mess up my engine?

Hey guys, 

New here and to dirtbikes in general. Ive ridden dirtbikes but never owned one. Recently my brothers friend sold me a 96 yz 250 for $800. 

It was in the garage for a couple weeks and I decided I wanted to take it up and down the street for a quick short ride. I started it and took off (stupid noob) Didnt give it any warm up. Never even crossed my dumbass noob mind. Took it up and back (less than 30 sec but in high rpm) and turned it off. My bro hopped on and did the same thing. When he pulled back into the driveway and let it run the idle was going up and down up and down etc. It also smelled like something burning? Idk though. After the fact I realized I could have seized it (like hours later it just hit me) 

Did I mess it up? I havent started it since then. 

Thanks and please take it easy on me. I know I f'ed up. 

Uh go try to start it and you'll know lol .doing it once or twice every once in a while won't completely murder your motor but doing it on the regular is never a good thing

How was the bike running before you bought it?

I don't believe that your cold starting and not letting it warm up would all of a sudden cause the surging.  Maybe the jets are dirty and in need of carb cleaning.  Does it run normal when more then 1/4 throttle?  Or is the problem just when the bike is idling?

Edited by Honda_Power

If you were in high RPMs while cold, you more than likely did serious damage to the motor. If you were to kick it over does the kick start lever move?

How was the bike running before you bought it?

I don't believe that your cold starting and not letting it warm up would all of a sudden cause the surging.  Maybe the jets are dirty and in need of carb cleaning.  Does it run normal when more then 1/4 throttle?  Or is the problem just when the bike is idling?

It was running fine. The previous owner put a new top end on at the end of last season. It was running normal, just at idle. 

If you were in high RPMs while cold, you more than likely did serious damage to the motor. If you were to kick it over does the kick start lever move?

Im assuming it will because it didnt stall. I turned it off. Which is why i dont think its seized.

Any color to it? If it was white, it was burning coolant, which means it's leaking for somewhere, probably the head gasket.

Black means oil, most likely from the tranny.

Blue is premix, which is normal.

I believe it was blue? Honestly ill just have to go start it and look. It wasnt black for sure. I have a hard time telling white from blue smoke but it seemed the 'normal' color. 

what you described is perfectly normal for a two stoke to do after spending some time at a high rpm if you have a minor intake leak or a bit of a lean idle. nothing new is wrong with your bike from what you did, You should warm it up in the future though. if you would have seized it it wouldn't be idling at all. cant tell if half these guys are trolling or just never owned a two stroke. 

shit my snow bike will do a bit of a runaway idle after being held wide open for a couple minutes and Ive done most everything to prevent it.

• Like 1