Sign in to follow this  

California Searching for Search and Rescue

I have been looking for a forum for this and thought this would be a place to start.  I am looking for and willing to pay someone to be backup rescue if my bike breaks.  I will be doing a Yucaipa, CA to Kingman, AZ mostly on powerline roads next month solo.  This time I will be cutting though the Mojave Preserve.  I will be using an In Reach beacon and thought that it might be wise to see if there is such a person who has a truck, computer, time to track me and text at times just in case I need someone to come pick me up and take me back to Yucaipa.  It would be ideal if the person was out of Barstow.  Any takers?  Or better yet a more specific forum to post this.Rear View, 12X22.jpg

Get the number to Inland division CHP Air Ops, they wont follow you or be on standby but they will come if you call 911. 

• Like 1

I use an inReach DeLorme personal becon that transmits of the Iridium satellite network.  If I place it in SOS mode the signal goes to GEOS in Los Angeles and they dispatch the closest agency.  The point here, I guess, is that I do not want to deal with the civil network of rescue when it could be in our community of riders.  

• Like 1

This DeLorme “inReach” is pretty lit up with features.  I can actually text or sent emails from any location in the world as long as there is plenty of clear area around.  I will be good to go with this device.  I got lucky a picked a good one.  Battery uses only 20% in around town tests.  It does have an SOS but with my wolfman packs I can bring in plenty of gear for overnights.

A gallon of extra gas will do the trick from Ludlow across the dry lake, sand dunes, powerline road to Cima.  Cedar Canyon over to the river.  I should have 1/2 gallon to spare at Laughlin.

Mojave Ride.jpg

Mojave Ride_1.jpg

• Like 1

They say 3000 rescues worldwide. Personally I know of no one saved by a spot. But I do know people that used one and got no help for a variety of reasons.

I'd be curious to know one statistic. How many people  have pushed the magic button and didn't get help ?

This whole personal beacon thing actually began from someone who did recomended Spot.  Great idea and I sure it does fine.  The one that I went with, inReach has a differant satellite network and I am impressed with the location and customer service since all of these require a subsription.  The rabbit hole is pretty deep with the how the andriod app, the actual device and the website performs together.  My share map is  https://share.delorme.com/escondido and the password is 123 for my Saturday photo shoot for anyone who would like to see how people see you on your trip.  This device will really open the length of time most of us can venture out alone or say if someone has a heart conditon or some type of health issue they have some sort of a lifeline as long as they are concious.

Bolt,

No brothers of the same mother out on the perimeter with us!  Only brothers of differant mothers are out on the perimeter.  Let the clutch out!

• Like 1

Bolt,

No brothers of the same mother out on the perimeter with us!  Only brothers of differant mothers are out on the perimeter.  Let the clutch out!

Oh damn...  you aren't related... YOU ARE HIM !  :lol:

They say 3000 rescues worldwide. Personally I know of no one saved by a spot. But I do know people that used one and got no help for a variety of reasons.

I'd be curious to know one statistic. How many people  have pushed the magic button and didn't get help ?

Here's a guy I know personally who alerted help with his Spot and they were on the way before the 911 call came in.  Because of Joe's experience, I now wear my spot on my person.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867625

Not to mention, my wife likes the Spot because I can check in without having a cell signal.

The Spot I have has three messages that can be sent.  One is 'I'm ok and here's where I am'  The second is 'I'm ok but need help' (like a bike is broken but I'm not hurt) and the third is the SOS button that alerts first responders.

Edited by cobra46
  • Like 1

Here's a guy I know personally who alerted help with his Spot and they were on the way before the 911 call came in.  Because of Joe's experience, I now wear my spot on my person.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867625

Not to mention, my wife likes the Spot because I can check in without having a cell signal.

The Spot I have has three messages that can be sent.  One is 'I'm ok and here's where I am'  The second is 'I'm ok but need help' (like a bike is broken but I'm not hurt) and the third is the SOS button that alerts first responders.

Whiskey throttle definition right there. Danm lucky

A few factors lead up to that accident.  I my opnion the bike was extremely top heavy and his speed was not reduced going into the cliff area.  The line down the middle over the rocks was choosen (or because of his speed did not have time to decicide) instead of the smoother line that was clearly on the right.  In order to see it well the video needs to be stopped and that is what he could have done. 

Tired?

Speed

Line Selection

Top heavy bike

He is lucky.  Did you see the size of some of the rocks where he landed?  He is luckly.

We pull them out all Summer long. Ill see who has the numbers. I dont use Spot but do use the DeLorme.

I have a SPOT, its kinda cool to use since I ride alone most of them time, and it tracks me and my wife can keep tabs on where I am at from her phone.  Pretty good to have. 

I havent needed to push any buttons besides the check in one when I am off the bike or going really slow, last time I had to stack rocks in a canyon to get out and it took me a while so I "Checked in" so she didnt get 2 reports from the same spot in a 20 minute span.

Speed-Freek,

What areas do you ride.  I am mostly in the Lurcene, Ludlow, Cima strip.