Sign in to follow this  

Ordered my new 2013 YZ250f

Well I would like to introduce myself. I am new to the side but not riding. Been riding off-road since I was 14, stopped riding dirt when I didn't have riding buddies about 9 years ago I'm 27 now and really miss riding dirt. Been on the street only.

Now that I am working in the Motorcycke Industry I have riding buddies again! Lol. Couple Sundays ago we went to a local riding place (Red River Motorcycle Trails). I was on a borrowed yz250f. First four stroke I've ever ridden, been a two stroke guy in the past. Loved the bike, and so missed riding dirt. So after a couple weeks of hard thinking on if I wanted a 450 or 250 or 250 2 smokey.

I went with the 13 YZ250f. Can't wait to get it in and build it and service it and then ride it! I'm mostly a woods guy, but will be on the track a few times.

Any thoughts or concerns I should have? I'm a Yamaha Tech, so maintenance and maintenance schedules aren't a issue with me. Just wanting to know any bugs or anything you guys have experienced first hand.

Please excuse any typos as I am typing this from my phone.

• Like 1

Well I would like to introduce myself. I am new to the side but not riding. Been riding off-road since I was 14, stopped riding dirt when I didn't have riding buddies about 9 years ago I'm 27 now and really miss riding dirt. Been on the street only.

Now that I am working in the Motorcycke Industry I have riding buddies again! Lol. Couple Sundays ago we went to a local riding place (Red River Motorcycle Trails). I was on a borrowed yz250f. First four stroke I've ever ridden, been a two stroke guy in the past. Loved the bike, and so missed riding dirt. So after a couple weeks of hard thinking on if I wanted a 450 or 250 or 250 2 smokey.

I went with the 13 YZ250f. Can't wait to get it in and build it and service it and then ride it! I'm mostly a woods guy, but will be on the track a few times.

Any thoughts or concerns I should have? I'm a Yamaha Tech, so maintenance and maintenance schedules aren't a issue with me. Just wanting to know any bugs or anything you guys have experienced first hand.

Please excuse any typos as I am typing this from my phone.

Welcome to 4 stroke country !  As far as maintenance goes just do the regular checks. Actually, I looked for a brand new 13 but couldn't find one so I ended up with the 14, also, I'm a state above you (Ok.) and if you know of a new 13 YZ 250F in your area please let me know. 

Edited by Alan48

The one I'm getting is in Kileen Texas. Closest one I could find. I'll keep my eyes open for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

• Like 1

Great buy dude! I'm still kicking myself for selling my 2012, best bike I've ever owned.... I've had a lot! Rode mine back to back to back to back with a 2014 and the only difference I could tell was that the 2014 had a louder exhaust note. Look into carb mods to eliminate the bog and you will be golden.

Thanks Rocket! Going riding with the guys from work this weekend hopefully. I'm really glad I went with this one instead of the 450. I'm mostly a woods rider and didn't feel like the 450 was the way to go.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400638843.577767.jpg

It's here!!!!!! :)

Congrat's to you,  That is one fine looking machine !!  I know you'll take great care of her and she will give you many year's of good time's. I agree with Rocket  on the carb mod. You did good, I'm a bit jelly.

Congrats, love the look of the 13yzf. Best looking mx bike out there IMO. Of couse i'm biased, I've got one too. Your garage looks just like mine only my red street bike in the background is a ducati ST2.

++ on the carb mods. Stock is probably OK for most situations but I've read that an R&D float bowl will ensure no bog. I went a little different route with mine. Had Thumper Racing install their custom "aspiration tube" and an Athena dual spray accelerator pump nozzle. They both improve the fuel atomization making the carb work more like injection. Whatever, mine runs great.

Some other mods to consider that I've done. Since you ride trails too, trail-tech kickstand, FMF slip-on with sparky and hand guards. If you ride tracks, I recommend oversize front brake rotor and braided brake line. Those are key mods in my experience, others are optional. And the truth is that you can ride it with no mods at all and still be perfectly happy. But mods are good if you've got the $$.

I think you made the right choice going with the 250. I've had 450s and 250s (4t) and prefer the smaller bikes. A YZ is a good trail bike if the trails are open but not so much in tight conditions. I'm guessing in Texas you will be fine. Up here in Washington, different story. I've got a KTM 250 xcwf punched out to a 290 for that work. There's no comparison there, the KTM is hands down better on tight single track. The yz has great power, better handling and better suspension. It just doesn't have eStart, low end, 6 gears and a tight turning radius like the KTM. But the KTM is useless on an MX track while the YZ is magic. I think the YZ would be a real contender on trails with an auto-clutch. I may try one someday.

Anyway, have fun and get riding.

Edited by moleson10

I'm picking up a new 2013 yz250f se this weekend coming and i'm 15 so stepping up from a mini bike. Had all my childhood worth of experience so i'm ready. I was just wondering what parts and accessories come with the bike new?

i think you will like it.i love mine.great deal and proven design. on the carb mod,i looked at the oring or safety wire trick but it looked like mine didnt have the delay like the example video.maybe ill go ahead and do it anyways. i very rarely get a bog but have had it. stock jetting. they are a blast to ride,keep us posted.

jake-usual wrenches and manual.the best stock manual i have seen by the way.

Edited by bring the rain
  • Like 1

i think you will like it.i love mine.great deal and proven design. on the carb mod,i looked at the oring or safety wire trick but it looked like mine didnt have the delay like the example video.maybe ill go ahead and do it anyways. i very rarely get a bog but have had it. stock jetting. they are a blast to ride,keep us posted.

jake-usual wrenches and manual.the best stock manual i have seen by the way.

Merge Racing makes a stiffer accelerator pump spring that takes the place of the O-ring mod. I went this route as it was relatively inexpensive and I wasn't real sure about putting the safety wire or O-ring on a new bike. Take your pick, all 3 will accomplish the same results. Edited by Rocket416

So no oils or parts? because if it doesn't come with oil i might get some sent out. What do you guys think of Yamalube, is it worth it?

thanks rocket on the merge tip.

So no oils or parts? because if it doesn't come with oil i might get some sent out. What do you guys think of Yamalube, is it worth it?

go ahead and buy a jug of yamalube,its cheap and works. get a few oil filters too.then youre good to go for a while. i would also get an hour meter.those oil changes come faster than you realize.

• Like 1

Yeah I need an hour meter. Just got done riding mine a little. Most I've ridden it so far. No bog that I have noticed. Just a pain to get started. Hahahah. Gotta get that thing broke in. Going to the track this coming weekend.

Remember that 4ts don't start like 2ts. Get the motor tdc and then try to start it.

thanks rocket on the merge tip.

go ahead and buy a jug of yamalube,its cheap and works. get a few oil filters too.then youre good to go for a while. i would also get an hour meter.those oil changes come faster than you realize.

Yeah I'll get some yamalube sent out soon. I'll be putting on an hour meter before I even start it. Oil filters are a must yeah. What do you guys think the best way is to go about running in a new bike?

on starting,i blip the throttle 2 times when cold .starts 2nd or 3rd kick. when hot i use the hot start,no throttle of course. no problems.

on breaking it in. started it,warmed it up for a minute(dont blip the throttle on the stand cold).no leaks,noises etc. 10 minute average ride.decent throttle going thru gears.check again for anything silly,bolts,leaks. then :eek:  let it eat. after 1st hour changed oil and filter.checked screen,nothing. truth be told your bike was ripped thru the gears when it came off the line. always check the bolts and fluids and you should be good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Yeah that's how i think i'll go with riding in. I don't think i'll use the yamalube because i can't get it locally and that's a pain. My uncle is a fan of castrol but i'm not sure what oil.