Sign in to follow this  

Help a newbie out withrebuild....

As you may know i had some issues with my cyl in the past, it was sent to millenium for welding and replatin, cyl is back with wiseco m piston, my problem is:

1. In the manual doesnt say how far up i should slide the ring to measure end gap, someone said half an inch from the top, manual shows a pic with a piston being slide from the bottom.

2. RING GAP,i know i know its been beating more than enough, but cant decide either with wiseco specs or manual, here is the real issue as of right now the end gap stands at .30 mm or 0.011" according to wiseco i should have .27mm for the top or 0.o10", the ring is too small according to wiseco...... According to my manual its between 0.016 to 0. 022"

Help me out guys please

I will be glad to help if I can.  The end gap is alright.  The ring tension and thickness is what wears over time, loosing compression(that ans piston wear).  As for your other measurement, not real sure what you measured.  If you need to, you can file the endgap a little.  Don't get wild. a couple .000 is enough.  The ring will swell a bit when warm and you don't want it to bind.  It will just be a little sloppy on the pin.

Someone else chime in here if I am wrong.

back in the day of racing karts, we used .005 over rings and filed the end gap for more tension on the cylinder, just a bit more compression.  That was then though...

• Like 1

Thanks for stepping in, i have a concern, when millenium honed the cyl it did based on a giving piston, that means it was bored to match the clearance of that piston, correct? Ring end gap its a different manner that should be addressed by the owner correct?

Thanks for stepping in, i have a concern, when millenium honed the cyl it did based on a giving piston, that means it was bored to match the clearance of that piston, correct? Ring end gap its a different manner that should be addressed by the owner correct?

Oh, ya you have to set the ring end gap.  They have nothing to do with that.  Great company too.  Push the ring in the cylinder with the top of the piston (upside down) so the ring is in square, oh, say about 2".  Make sure you have washed it very good with soap and water to get any residue out.  Suds 'er up with something like DAWN, wipe dry and then take your ring measurement.  Remember to wipe it down with oil so it won't rust on ya.  Make sure that the port edges are smooth too so the ring won't snag on them.

Take your time, and watch some youtube videos...you will do fine.  Keep it clean.  Mace sure the snap rings or cir-clips are in good.  Might give them a spin the groove to make sure they are in.  Seen too many "experts" not get them in right and the wrist pin walks out on start up.  It gets real ugly from there.

Washed, dried and oiled, so i can run with those meaurements, .30mm ring end gap on top and bottom ring.?

So I was preparing to fit pit the piston in the cyl and felt the rings catching on something..millenium didnt chamfer very well one of the ports..Piston catching: https://youtu.be/w9EafRCZn7U here is the pic of the port1400132281849.jpg

How do i fix this.?

Edited by thieaux

I had mine snag the bottom of the cylinder in the same spot on the top ring with my last build too. No biggy. Don't force anything. Just push the ring in towards the piston to get clearance. The rings do not ride that low during operation so just get it past that point carefully and it will be fine.

I agree with the previously stated cleaning and oiling steps. Everything needs to be cleaned and oiled as you have already done.

Now with the ring gap, I would follow what is recommended for the wiseco piston. There is a limit so if you have slightly tighter than the range they recommend you "should" be fine.

You should go with the Wiseco ring gap specs. You said Wiseco wants .01 and you have .011. So your gap is .001 larger than their minimum spec, so no need to file.

Oh, boy, glad you got the edge found out now.  You can use a dowel rod with about 220 sand paper wrapped around it to smooth the edges of the port.  Since I have done a lot of porting, I would touch it with a Dremel and a small sanding roll.  Notice I said TOUCH!  All you need to do is round or smooth the edges of the port so the ring doesn't snag.  Small file like a chain saw file works well too.  Just go slow.  You can always take out more, putting it back is a lot harder.  Search youtube

Overlook the bad pronunciations, you get the idea.  Just put a smooth radius on the edges.  If you finger snags it, so will a ring, smooth as a baby's tuckus!