Sign in to follow this  

New plastics

No simple bolt on! Is this what you are wanting?

Do the 230L side covers come anywhere close to fitting on a 650L, if you want to keep the stock seat and tank?

I picked up a set of used front amd rear fenders from an '07 CRF 450, locally.

Front fender was fairly simple.... Just had to trim a few inches off the back of it to keep it from rubbing the frame and clutch cable every time the bars are turned.... Plus, so it wouldnt restrict the air flow to the engine when not turning.

The rear was a little more work.... Had to do a lot of trim, test fit, repeat.

Spent 2 days doing that till i got it to what I thought would do.....

As it turns out, I trimmed a little too much from the sides of the portion that goes under the seat. First time i got in to a deep water hole, the spinning of the rear tire, filled the air box with water. So after fixing the "little bit of water in the engine" issue, i had to fabricate some of the larger pieces I had trimmed offto the sides so the water would keep on flowing down the inner fender and back to the ground.

Pay close attention to how the forward part of the rear fender, the air box and the seat fit together on the underside of the seat. If you look at it all with the picture of LOTS of water coming off a spinning rear tire, in your mind, you should not have any prob making it work properly the first time..... Unlike myself.... Doh !

I think i saw a thread here somewhere of someone that did the same thing, but was very peticular on measuring everything multiple times, ajd figured out how to make it all work perfect and look completely stock.... And documented every step....

Like Jaysons said, the fenders are not a huge deal, but the rest will be a pain in the rear.

I have an older CRF front fender on my bike now... I replaced the newer style over the winter. The new ones are more pointed in the front. The old style is more rounded in the front (like the stocker), but not as droopy and it also has the bulge near the front that keeps my fender bag fron sliding off.

New (old style) fender

IMG_06311_zpsd5c0c9f1.jpg

IMG_06301_zpsfd9a52ae.jpg

IMG_06291_zps5027470c.jpg

With the old (new style) fender

IMG_0028_zps3c839459.jpg

IMG_0026_zps07377cf7.jpg

The back end

IMG_20130427_190920_367_zps4e64f45f.jpg

Do the 230L side covers come anywhere close to fitting on a 650L, if you want to keep the stock seat and tank?

No LOL! The front of panels attach to tank, and have to weld new mounts to frame for tank then mod tank for dipstick, Then take the 230 and 650 seat base and build new seat base lots of platic welding! then build seat foam and custom cover have not got to foam stage yet! LOT of work!