GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×

how can one pull out the needle bearing races on the shock link rocker w/o special tools?

The bearing has to be pulled because it rests on a shoulder. 01cr250. Without special tools....

Edited by dirty_fun

The bearing has to be pulled because it rests on a shoulder. 01cr250. Without special tools....

I mangled mine pretty good trying to get them out with a blind bearing puller (05 crf450), finally gave up and took it to a machine shop, he heated it up with a torch and tapped it out with a punch.  I would bet you could put it in the oven on about 225 and then with gloves and a punch, just tap it out.  Aluminum expands faster than steel so the steel bearings just tap right out when the aluminum gets hot.

What if I take a coin with the same diameter of the race and grind down two edges to slide inside the race and pound the coin and race out from the other side?

Edited by dirty_fun

I mangled mine pretty good trying to get them out with a blind bearing puller (05 crf450), finally gave up and took it to a machine shop, he heated it up with a torch and tapped it out with a punch. I would bet you could put it in the oven on about 225 and then with gloves and a punch, just tap it out. Aluminum expands faster than steel so the steel bearings just tap right out when the aluminum gets hot.

Make a puller out of all thread , nuts , washers and sockets .you can also use the same setup for pulling it back together

Make a puller out of all thread , nuts , washers and sockets .you can also use the same setup for pulling it back together

so, just grind off 2 opposing edges of the washers so they can slide in behind the bearings? Edited by dirty_fun

Take a socket that has approx. the outer diameter than the bearing race. Insert a threaded bar along with a spacer and a nut on each side of the rocker. You can drive in the socket and it will push the bearing out.

Take a socket that has approx. the outer diameter than the bearing race. Insert a threaded bar along with a spacer and a nut on each side of the rocker. You can drive in the socket and it will push the bearing out.

This is what I have done many many times with success. I will also add some heat too, not too much to damage the aluminum though. 

that will not work because the bearing rests against a shoulder, so you have to pull the bearing out, to do that, you have to slide something behind the race, something smaller than the inside diameter of the race, like a washer with two edges ground down to be able to shimmy it behind the race???

that will not work because the bearing rests against a shoulder, so you have to pull the bearing out, to do that, you have to slide something behind the race, something smaller than the inside diameter of the race, like a washer with two edges ground down to be able to shimmy it behind the race???

Is this on one of the linkage bearings? I ran into the same problem. What I did was CAREFULLY put a couple welds on the inside of the race, put a socket small enough to fit through the other side and it just tapped out with a few solid hits. Actually all I had to work with was the outer race. I obliterate the rest of the bearing trying to punch then out. The coin thing sounds like it might work pretty well.

• Like 1

I took out all the needle bearings. Then I used a Dremble and cut the outter race in a straight line carefully (starting at the lip then moved it towards you.) I did 2 cuts like that. Then with a small screw driver I was able to collapse the outter race and move it out. The screw driver did mar the inside of the linkage a little bit. But I haven't had any issues with the new bearings. I had 1.5 years on it with 15 hours (I know I need to ride more) and when I regreased everything, everything looked great.

Good luck,

Chris

Is this on one of the linkage bearings? I ran into the same problem. What I did was CAREFULLY put a couple welds on the inside of the race, put a socket small enough to fit through the other side and it just tapped out with a few solid hits. Actually all I had to work with was the outer race. I obliterate the rest of the bearing trying to punch then out. The coin thing sounds like it might work pretty well.

yes, it is, links the shock to the swing arm, three links, 5 bearings,good idea, but I don't have a welder, I know someone w one , but sort of a hassel going that route. I'll try pushing it out with a washer setup. Heat it up real good w a heat gun. I just don't wanna tap it out with a punch, afraid I'll score up the link. I don't think a bearing puller w work. Not enough of an edge on the race.... Edited by dirty_fun
  • Like 1

I had another look and yes you're correct.

Heat the aluminum with a propane torch and tap on the inside shoulder of the bearing race with a screw driver. Comes out with ease every time.

• Like 1

Heat the aluminum with a propane torch and tap on the inside shoulder of the bearing race with a screw driver. Comes out with ease every time.

that is what I said, you won't damage anything the bearing comes out so easily, you don't have to pound on the punch, just tap it very gently and the bearing virtually falls out.

that is what I said, you won't damage anything the bearing comes out so easily, you don't have to pound on the punch, just tap it very gently and the bearing virtually falls out.

I didnt read all the previous comments.

It is a very simple, easy way to remove said bearings.

I use the exact same method on wheel bearings.

I didnt read all the previous comments.

It is a very simple, easy way to remove said bearings.

I use the exact same method on wheel bearings.

OK then I'll try that when I take it back apart, thx... Edited by dirty_fun
  • Like 1

What I did on my 97 cr250 was press in both bearings 1/4", blast it with penetrating oil, wait an hour, then I pressed them both out in the same direction using a piece of ready rod, some sockets and some washers. Mine were pretty bad too. Good luck

What I did on my 97 cr250 was press in both bearings 1/4", blast it with penetrating oil, wait an hour, then I pressed them both out in the same direction using a piece of ready rod, some sockets and some washers. Mine were pretty bad too. Good luck

that won't work on my bike, the races rest on shoulders, they have to come out the way they came in...