Sign in to follow this  

Arizona GWT Rio Verde to I17-169 junction

Planning on riding this soon. Spring or fall to hit preferable temps, leaving Flagstaff in the morning and it not being too hot down south in the afternoon. Haven't ridden a whole lot of desert, understand the sand at Sycamore Creek between Bloody Basin and Dugas can be nasty. This from a 4x4'er. Any heads up on this or any other portion of this route. I'll be on a '07 KLR650 75% left on MT21's.

might do Friday if life doesn't interfere. Leave Flag. 44, Phx. high 104.

Thanks, Mike

Edit: If I make good time, I'll continue over Mingus Mtn. Avoiding Smiley Rock this time.

Edited by Flagstaff

All ready to go Friday the 16th, doing the once over and discovered a almost gone clutch cable. Left any way, found one in Phoenix, but on the way down I-17 was closed due to a head on so turned around. Just as well, always fun riding in city traffic without a clutch.

Road it today. Great ride! Only bad part for me was the sand on 413 from Needle Rock to Bartlett Road. Other than that, some nasty rocks, just like flag, and one small navigational error.

I've now ridden the GWT from Needle rock into Utah, and highly recommend it. Just don't ride anything heavier than a KLR650.

Mike

Who's route did you follow? I have ridden from Nogales to West Yellowstone and posted tracks on GPSXchange.com

You would probably get some response if you posted your ride on AdvRider.com

Who's route did you follow? I have ridden from Nogales to West Yellowstone and posted tracks on GPSXchange.com

You would probably get some response if you posted your ride on AdvRider.com

Route to long to list, but followed the info I had which corresponded with the signs. We discussed this before on some other thread, Don't do tracks.

Thanks, Mike

Route to long to list, but followed the info I had which corresponded with the signs.Thanks, Mike

Wow I didn't see enough signs to follow. In Utah, there would not be a sign at an intersection then a mile down the road there would be one. Perhaps many of them are now in peoples garages.

Wow I didn't see enough signs to follow. In Utah, there would not be a sign at an intersection then a mile down the road there would be one. Perhaps many of them are now in peoples garages.

Yes, I noticed that also, the signs often just confirmed the route I was on. In Arizona, the Kaibab is the best marked, but not at all on private and Rez. lands. Tonto not bad, Prescott the worse if I remember right.

Mike