Sign in to follow this  

Budget riding gear?

Is there a brand of gear that is good or at least decent that will not break the bank?

Im a beginner so dont need the best of the best i dont think. Any input will be appreciated. 

Let me know what you have used and how it held up. I need everything (boots helmet jersey etc)

And if your bored some links to them Lol

Thanks guys! :)

Oh boy this is going to go viral, you need to buy at least middle of the road on everything. Remember you cannot put a value on good quality protective gear, because when your laying in the hospital bed a few hundred extra will all of the sudden sound cheap.

As everybody will tell you, ain't nothing wrong with shopping clearance items.

When I was getting started I wanted to get as many areas of gear covered as possible to get into the sport safely and comfortably. So I ended up with 2 sets of Fly Kinetic jersey/pants/gloves that were almost 2 year old models at that point and a year later they are still perfect (beginner-novice rider). I have gotten a "high end" big brand  set as a gift and I actually way prefer the lower end Kinetic gear. Just pick a style and colours you can live with and dont just throw them in the corner of the garage for a week when your done riding!

The Fly Maverick boots are also good bang for the buck, but they are surely not comfortable or maneuverable. They will get the job done and saved my foot from being shredded on gravel one of my first rides out. 

Don't neglect a simple set of cheaper knee/elbow pads either! I got the knee stuff to avoid silly scratches, however after a friend met in a nasty accident on pavement connecting to a trail and his simple $20 knee pads essentially saved it from being blown apart I now highly recommend them from day one!!

• Like 1

I believe that i have the cheapest, while still decent brands and safe, mix of gear there is.  $10 - Fly pants and jersey off craigslist, $10 - EVS (i think) under the jersey chest protector off craigslist, $35 - EVS neck brace from the same guy i got the chest protector from, $170 Gaerne GX-1 boots new from motorcycle superstore, $75 - Gmax 46x helmet new from rocky mountain mc, $20 scott goggles. Regardless of what brand, just remember to dress for the wreck, not the ride. Dont be afraid to get stuff of craigslist or ebay. Boots, goggles, helmet are the only things i buy new.

Forgot about knee braces. Got them cheap off craigslist as well.

Edited by KTMforlife
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Keep em comin! Ive heard about fly and thats what im prob goin for unless I hear something bad.

+1 for used good gear. Especially if you can check it out in person prior to buying. Boots are a good one you can probably find used in decent shape. 

as mentioned, certain pieces I wouldn't skimp on (boots and helmet, namely) as sometimes cheap can be unsafe. But things like jersey, pants, etc you're not really losing too much from "cheap" to midrange, as long as they are comfortable enough for you to move around in. My suggestion would be to try and make it to a shop where you can try these things on, rather than ordering online. I see you're in CA, are you in southern? If yes there are tons of motorcycle shops around. Chaparral (San Bernardino) is a good one just because there is a huge selection, and they usually have some of last year's gear around which will be marked down. 

I agree with all the above comments. Buy a new helmet ( best you can afford) and the rest you can find used or on the cheap. Stick to brands you know. If they are sold at most shops they are probably ok. Try stuff on at the shop too to see how it all fits. Fox runs small, Fly runs true. Jersey and pants are nice but not required. Boots essential, knees are good to cover, elbows even work when your grazing bark between trees. Gloves and goggles can be found for $20 a pop.

I like to buy gear on closeout. Often it's to make the $100 for free shipping. I have found the upper end of Fox to be good but not the lower. 661 makes good midrange stuff. MSR and most especially Thor have never let me down.

Dirt rider just actually released a topic about this. They used "Bilt" gear. Bilt has a deal at cycle gear where if you buy a certain set of pants and jersey, you get a free helmet. So I went with a buddy who had no gear we went and got they're gear and so far it's held up great and been comfortable for him! And he wrecks more than bulldozer. It cost him a total of 70$ for a helmet, jersey, and pants. Can't get a better deal in my opinion but their colors are kinda boring

thats a steal!

Yeah I told my buddy he couldn't pass it up! I about crapped my pants when I saw it in their ad, they got a ton of regular gear at super low prices too. I got a set of alpinestar tech 3s for 180$ too! Best boots I've ever had. But now I have a routine like every other week I go to Cycle Gear and buy my oils and other things, it's like a motorcycle clothing mall

Don't want to hijack the OP but how many people have used the "Bilt" gear? The prices are amazing! Is it worth it? Do you get 3 rides, a season, more out of stuff like pads? I was blown away by how inexpensive their stuff was.

Don't want to hijack the OP but how many people have used the "Bilt" gear? The prices are amazing! Is it worth it? Do you get 3 rides, a season, more out of stuff like pads? I was blown away by how inexpensive their stuff was.

Its not hi-jacking... Its relevant

Ironpony.com the fly gear is very cheap. 12 bucks for pants and 12 jersey.

Yeah as far as I've seen, it'll last a good while, my buddy crashes his brains out and it hold up pretty good and he's had it for about 2 months now and rides about 2-3 times a week, everything is still in great shape and it washes perfectly clean. My fox gear had stains from 1 ride and he was with me on the ride and his stains washed out... Not mine... But I will definatly say Bilt is worth more than what it costs by far in my opinion