Sign in to follow this  

Can a 250 2T be tamed to match that of a 250f?

I ride/race 80% of the time at my local club track which is a supercross style track. I own a 2007 RM 144 and a 2009 RMZ 450. I have a blast on my 144 and never plan to sell it. The 450, although a great bike, has proven to be a bit of a handful for me. I feel like the entire time I am taming the beast on the tight supercross sections, lugging that extra weight around, and just overall getting more worn out on it.

The 450 is a BLAST on the more motocross style tracks I have ridden it at where you can really unleash the beast. I ride these types of tracks maybe 3-5 times a year.

I weigh 140 lbs in street clothes (my 450 is revalved and resprung for my weight). 

Why not sell it and just keep the 144? Although the 144 is FUN, it is still a LOT of work to try and keep up with the fast competition out there on the 250f's. Modern 250f bikes now with EFI are making excellent power, easy to ride, and have come a long way. I had a 2008 RMZ 250 and a 2001 YZ 250f. Both of those bikes can't compare to the EFI 250f's. 

Then again, I love not having the engine braking effect, valves to shim, timing chains to replace. I would love an 04-08 RM 250 2 stroke. 250 2 strokes are also allowed to race against the 250f at my club.

I am uneasy on buying a used 250f. I am completely confident in buying a used 2 stroke. BUT, the 250 2stroke in stock form can be as much a handful if not more than a 450. I don't want to sell my 450 in favor for another handful of a bike that I have to ride cautiously around the track and wears me out.

Can a 250 2 stroke be tamed down to the point where the power is still there and it is just as easy to ride as a 250f? Or, am I better off jumping in at the EFI 250f bikes and calling it a day?

Flywheel weight, powervalve settings, slower throttle cam. I prefer the two strokes myself and i certainly believe that you will happy with a 250 smoker.

• Like 1

Y would u tame a 2 stroke. It will only go as fast as u twist the throttle

Edited by Jdrost72
  • Like 5

I don't get it. Another thread of how can i make my bike slow and boring  :facepalm:

I don't get how you interpreted my post as getting a bike that is slow and boring?

I don't like the weight of the 450 nor its handling characteristics. I want a bike to compete in the 250f class but am considering a 250 2T but looking to see other's inputs on  controlling how the power is brought on.... this does not mean "slow and boring", it means tractable.

I don't get how you interpreted my post as getting a bike that is slow and boring?

I don't like the weight of the 450 nor its handling characteristics. I want a bike to compete in the 250f class but am considering a 250 2T but looking to see other's inputs on  controlling how the power is brought on.... this does not mean "slow and boring", it means tractable.

KTM for life covered it mostly.

Add porting, head mods and a pipe and you can make them pretty luggable.

I find my current bike (completely stock) smooth enough most of the time, although it doesn't have the bottom end "pumper carb feeling" punch of the 250fs.

I reckon a 250SX with all of the above could come damn near ALL of your criteria, if not meet it.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

Any bike can be tamed, it just takes time and patience and dialing it in to your specs. Fluidity is the key. Know your bike's positives and negatives and work it. It usually takes me about an hour to feel comfortable and loose riding my smokers. I'm pretty cautious so I make sure to warm up first before I start to get crazy. So it's not just buy the 250 smoker and have it tamed by the end of the day. It takes time and patience's like anything else. I've been riding 490's for over 30 years, and have yet to tame that beast at full throttle. Sure power is always there, but having the balls to twist it takes a lot of balls. You're only 140 Lbs., so a 250 smoker would definitely have the power you need. Once I get into my groove, it's nothing but fun for me until I eventually run out of gas. I'm guessing too that any 250 smoker you have in mind is probably a lot less expensive than the thumper you're also considering. I hear many good things about thumpers, so you might want to try them both out before you make a decision. I can only hope you'll pick the smoker and come back here and tell us what a fine machine it is and how glad you didn't spend the bucks buying a thumper. :lol: But it does sound to me like you might be better off with the thumper if you have the cash. :devil:

Screw a gnarly, they choke off the top end bad on every bike ive ridden with one. Good for the woods bad for moto in my opinion,

A heavy flywheel weight, 120 rear tire, lectron carb, and have it ported by someone who can set it up for what your after. Eric gorr comes to mind.

With those mods, traction is enhanced, the bark is reduced, but power is stronger bottom to top.

Basically the exact recipe im following on my 2004 cr250 and i have the same 250f stomping goals. I might get a more aggressive spec porting wise. Considering tom morgan or pro circuit in addition to eric gorr.

Thanks guys.

I have always been fond of Suzuki handling and styling. I know the 04 and up RM250 is excellent just like their 125 was. However, from what I have read, the yz250 off the showroom floor has a very tractable power delivery. I know the RM is known for EXPLOSIVE hits do to it's very light flywheel.

Certainly going to be between those two bikes. I don't think I can go wrong with either choice. 

Edited by stavendirtbike

Thanks guys.

I have always been fond of Suzuki handling and styling. I know the 04 and up RM250 is excellent just like their 125 was. However, from what I have read, the yz250 off the showroom floor has a very tractable power delivery. I know the RM is known for EXPLOSIVE hits do to it's very light flywheel.

Certainly going to be between those two bikes. I don't think I can go wrong with either choice. 

Just curious, but why not a KTM? Nothing wrong with a YZ but KTM is the only one of the big 5 that keeps 2 strokes current.

To me, if it ain't a 2 stroker, it ain't a 'racing' dirt bike.  Nothing against 4 strokes but, it doesn't make sense when you're talking about motoX racing where it should be light weight and nimble, which fits perfectly with a two stroke.  4 strokes to me are more for trail riding...... and if you really must HAVE to race but stuck owning a tank (4t), then possibly enduro racing.

So in closing, get a 250 2t.  And make it a Honda too if you want to be a winner.  :)

Edited by Honda_Power

A 250t should have more power at every rpm than a 250f, and be significantly lighter and better handling.  It's very easy to make an engine has LESS power over a given range.  So...yes is the answer to your question.

• Like 1

I don't get it. Another thread of how can i make my bike slow and boring  :facepalm:

Or better yet , How can I make my 2 T more like a 4T?

• Like 1

To me, if it ain't a 2 stroker, it ain't a 'racing' dirt bike. Nothing against 4 strokes but, it doesn't make sense when you're talking about motoX racing where it should be light weight and nimble, which fits perfectly with a two stroke. 4 strokes to me are more for trail riding...... and if you really must HAVE to race but stuck owning a tank (4t), then possibly enduro racing.

So in closing, get a 250 2t. And make it a Honda too if you want to be a winner. :)

A lot of advice from a "new" rider. I can't believe you're still here.

OP, sounds like you would rather have a modded 250 instead of a smoker

• Like 2

Have you thought of a 350?  Specifically a KTM 350 SX-F.  Sounds like that might fit your needs perfectly.  Unfortunately they are not cheap.  I have a Husky TXC 310 and while not an MX bike, I like it much better than my YZ250 which has a stealthy 9oz flywheel.  But I am older and the 2 smoker just beats me up and gives me massive arm pump in short order.  I find that even though the 310 is a bit down on power, compared to the YZ, I am faster on the 310 because I can ride it harder for longer, but I do hare scrambles, not MX.

Your 144 is going to have more power than a 250f. And if u can through it around easy than a 250 2 stroke won't be hard at all