Sign in to follow this  

Idaho West Yellowstone

Riding for bikes and side x side? Planning on taking family time in mid June to do some riding around Macs Inn and West Yellowstone. Three off road bikes and one rzr. Looking at area maps and reading reviews, looks to be all about atv/utv's? Is the area good for 2 wheeled riding, any good tight double track or single track? What about OHV friendly camping with good trail access? Found one in the middle of a field by Henry's lake that does not look very appealing! Kinda like being in the Forrest at least a little. Would prefer full book ups but dry camping would be okay. Any suggestions?

hmmmm, good question.  I've driven through on a street bike, but that whole area is prime.  Would love to know if there is any singletrack in the area.

I don't remember any single track around Mack's Inn but then again I haven't ridden there since 03. I use to ride ATV's around the shotgun valley area and don't recall any single track their either. 

There are very few single track trails in that area, everything is old logging roads or railroad beds.  If you want single track, head east of Rexburg/Idaho Falls to the Big Hole Mountains north of the S Fork Snake or the Fall Creek/Bear Creek area south of Swan Valley/S Fk Snake. 

There are very few single track trails in that area, everything is old logging roads or railroad beds.  If you want single track, head east of Rexburg/Idaho Falls to the Big Hole Mountains north of the S Fork Snake or the Fall Creek/Bear Creek area south of Swan Valley/S Fk Snake. 

I wonder why?  Hard to believe nobody out there riding horses?

A little closer is Kilgore, Id... about 35-40 miles west of IP... Go out shotgun road (it's paved for about 10 miles or so)

there are quad trails that bypass the pavement... then you ride the gravel road to kilgore and head up west camas creek

where you will find some decent trails, most of which are ok for a sidexside (50 inch max to be in compliance, but, a lot of roads

that also can be ridden)... A lot of good dry camping areas up there too and then quick access to I15 via porcupine pass (good road, not much of a pass, can easily pull 40' toyhauler over it"

As stated above, big holes are great, Palisades area has a lot of trails as well.

I wonder why?  Hard to believe nobody out there riding horses?

We used to have  lot of single track in that area, but, the greenies have closed it down... they want a motorized free corridor between

YNP and the Canadian border which includes the Centennial Range which starts in IP and follows the Divide North-northwest...

There are some great trails that we just cant ride anymore..... legally ;)

• Like 1

We used to have lot of single track in that area, but, the greenies have closed it down... they want a motorized free corridor between

YNP and the Canadian border which includes the Centennial Range which starts in IP and follows the Divide North-northwest...

There are some great trails that we just cant ride anymore..... legally ;)

Not sure if this is part of what you are referring to, but I've been trying to increase traffic and get people involved on the Centennial trail from I-90, north on the ID/MT border for the last few years. I fear it is going to be closed due to underuse. Every spring I spend a few days clearing that bastard and I swear I am the only one riding it. Truly awesome trail, and worth the drive if any of you wet-siders are looking for a place to ride over here. Open from mid-July to early October. The last guy that came out from the coast was throwing up his guts half way back. You're not all that soft, are ya? :p;) Edited by ITLKSEZ
  • Like 1

Not sure if this is part of what you are referring to, but I've been trying to increase traffic and get people involved on the Centennial trail from I-90, north on the ID/MT border for the last few years. I fear it is going to be closed due to underuse. Every spring I spend a few days clearing that bastard and I swear I am the only one riding it. Truly awesome trail, and worth the drive if any of you wed-siders are looking for a place to ride over here. Open from mid-July to early October. The last guy that came out from the coast was throwing up his guts half way back. You're not all that soft, are ya?   :p   ;)

I was referring to trails closer to YNP that are all now closed, there are some good single tracks still open around Medicine Lodge/Scott'sPeak area toward Leadore..

I have never been as far north as the area you are talking about (yet, I'm hoping to have more time to explore that area soon)

I have read about that trail and would love to ride it one day.

Not sure if this is part of what you are referring to, but I've been trying to increase traffic and get people involved on the Centennial trail from I-90, north on the ID/MT border for the last few years. I fear it is going to be closed due to underuse. Every spring I spend a few days clearing that bastard and I swear I am the only one riding it. Truly awesome trail, and worth the drive if any of you wet-siders are looking for a place to ride over here. Open from mid-July to early October. The last guy that came out from the coast was throwing up his guts half way back. You're not all that soft, are ya? :p;)

I'll be your huckleberry.  I'm plannin a trip to Happy's Inn, MT next month. I want to stop and ride a few places along the way, and throw my kayak in some whitewater.

I'll bring a saw :)

I'll be your huckleberry. I'm plannin a trip to Happy's Inn, MT next month. I want to stop and ride a few places along the way, and throw my kayak in some whitewater.

I'll bring a saw :)

I'll take you riding, but you musta missed the part where I said the trail isn't passable till mid-July. :D

There's plenty of good stuff other than that trail.... Name the date, I'll be there!

wow, even this year? I'm thinkin solstice timeframe. 6-21-14'ish

Sorry to hijack this thread.....

The valleys got a fair amount of rain this winter, but the mountains got hammered out here, combined with a spring that was slow to warm up. I just rode up to check snow levels last weekend, and they are 600' lower el. this year than they were at the same time last year.

This short clip was from the Cen. Ten. trail on July 14 of 2013, which was an average snow year. I was expecting soft and fluffy...

• Like 1