Sign in to follow this  

What's your XR4 Startup Ritual

I picked up an XR4 about a month ago now, its my second XR4 I've owned but it has been a year or two. Any ways what is every one elses starting rituals? My bike starts well above 70F no choke after that I'm still not sure what it wants. I know it varies on jetting,engine wear,mods, etc. I just wanted to hear what works for you. 

xr400.jpg

Full choke, do not touch the throttle!!

Cycle the kicker through slowly so it stops at TDC, then let it up all the way and give it a healthy kick. 

Once fired you let it fast idle for a minute or so at most then when it starts to blubber a bit you go to 1/2 choke position.  

COLD blooded beasties. If you try to give throttle before warm enough they will just die.

Takes a full 5 minutes or so usually. You can ride away on 1/2 choke and let it warm up while riding, but you'll have to play with the throttle to keep it running. 

• Like 1

Same here.

The tricky part is after a hot engine crash. Pick the bike up, open the throttle wide open and pull the decomp lever, kick the bike through about 10-15 times (does not take long). then take hand off the throttle, let go of the lever, get it to TDC and one easy kick and she will fire every time.

Full choke, do not touch the throttle!!

Cycle the kicker through slowly so it stops at TDC, then let it up all the way and give it a healthy kick. 

Once fired you let it fast idle for a minute or so at most then when it starts to blubber a bit you go to 1/2 choke position.  

COLD blooded beasties. If you try to give throttle before warm enough they will just die.

Takes a full 5 minutes or so usually. You can ride away on 1/2 choke and let it warm up while riding, but you'll have to play with the throttle to keep it running. 

Same here.

The tricky part is after a hot engine crash. Pick the bike up, open the throttle wide open and pull the decomp lever, kick the bike through about 10-15 times (does not take long). then take hand off the throttle, let go of the lever, get it to TDC and one easy kick and she will fire every time.

Yes to both of those! I use each one exactly. Never fun picking up my baby after a fall....but the scars give it character. :thumbsup:

I watched a video a long time ago of a guy starting one by hand and I have followed his procedure since then. I kick through until I hit compression, then hit the decomp lever and push down like one more click then let kick starter go to the top and let go of decomp and kick it.

To start the beast put the choke on, turn the idle scerw in one half turn, push the kick starter through three to four times, WITH HAND OFF THE THROTTLE, push the kick starter to top dead center, ratchet it up to the top and kick to start.  First kick to start guaranteed.

I have the Mukini pumper and it is a little more quick to go with the pump of gas when you crank the throttle.

Dialed in my valves and tweeked my A/F screw now she's a one kick wonder! Hey do you guys normally turn your fuel off? It's just an old habit I've had ever since I filled a cylinder with fuel on an old suzuki quad I had! My floats are set right and there are no leaks on/in the carb....just wondering?

Long live the thumper!.... BRRRAAAAP

To start the beast put the choke on, turn the idle scerw in one half turn, push the kick starter through three to four times, WITH HAND OFF THE THROTTLE, push the kick starter to top dead center, ratchet it up to the top and kick to start. First kick to start guaranteed.

I have the Mukini pumper and it is a little more quick to go with the pump of gas when you crank the throttle.

How do you like the pumper on the XR4? Can you burp it at idle with out it hesitating? I can't remember if it was my 400ex or 250x that had one I know it work well on the quads.

I love it.  I turn the idle way down once it's warmed up to putt throught the "no trails woods", rolling along at idle.  See a log, chug up to it an pop!  front wheel jumps right over.   Never a Boowaaaag.

I will have to add that to the list!!! I'm still contemplating turning mine into a SM but where I live there are a ton of fun off road places to ride. Anyways if it stays DP bike it's gonna get a pumper!!