Sign in to follow this  

Anyone installed a 09-12 Steahly Off Road +17 oz Flywheel on their 450?

(In reference to 09 - 12 CRF450R)

I was wondering if it will work with the stock stator?

And are there any clearance issues?

(I put a TT heavy flywheel on my '05 450r and had to nibble off some of the reinforcement ribbing on the inside of the cover AND had to file down the solder balls on the pick up (PIP) sensor. More of a PITA than I anticipated.)

I also heard that you need to change the timing chain tensioner bolts to tapered or button head to clear the heavier flywheel.

Well I can't answer your question completely but I did install a TT +17 on my 09.  No grinding needed and working with the stock stator.  the did provide a different screw for the timing chain guide.

put one on my '12, and did not like it at all, made it feel to lazy. No clearance issues, and they supply the bolt you need for the tensioner. 

IMO a rekluse is money better spent on this bike.

• Like 1

Beings how the PO included a +17oz Steahley flywheel, and that I will be doing m y annual trail ride trips during the summer, I thought I'd pop the +17 on.

Unfortunately, there was no bolt included with the flywheel. I decided to pull the case cover off and remove the oem wheel. Put the +17 on and snugged the bolt. Sure enough, the backside of the flywheel binds on the head of the cam tensioner guide mount bolt. So I removed the bolt and the head is barley 0.187" tall. I used a Dremel and ground off some of the top of the bolt head but left just enough boly head with hex for the socket to still be able to grab onto to tighten.  The flywheel still binds! :banghead:

I can't imagine what kind of bolt they supply with the flywheel.

Anyone have a picture or spec of the bolt?

Beings how the PO included a +17oz Steahley flywheel, and that I will be doing m y annual trail ride trips during the summer, I thought I'd pop the +17 on.

Unfortunately, there was no bolt included with the flywheel. I decided to pull the case cover off and remove the oem wheel. Put the +17 on and snugged the bolt. Sure enough, the backside of the flywheel binds on the head of the cam tensioner guide mount bolt. So I removed the bolt and the head is barley 0.187" tall. I used a Dremel and ground off some of the top of the bolt head but left just enough boly head with hex for the socket to still be able to grab onto to tighten.  The flywheel still binds! :banghead:

I can't imagine what kind of bolt they supply with the flywheel.

Anyone have a picture or spec of the bolt?

with my trail tech +11 flywheel they included a countersunk allen bolt and i think they want you to take the metal sleeve out but i said F that and shortened the sleeve to work with the countersunk allen.

with my trail tech +11 flywheel they included a countersunk allen bolt and i think they want you to take the metal sleeve out but i said F that and shortened the sleeve to work with the countersunk allen.

OK, thanks for the input. yeah, I said F that too. lol

I ended up basically grinding most of the head off, then left enough of the bolt head flange and ground parallel flats on it and was able to tighten it with an open end wrench. After a copious application of blue Loctite.

Didn't have to shorten the sleeve, and I've got plenty of clearance between the flywheel and the bolt head.

Edited by tahoemike00

I don't get why so many people would rather add a heavier flywheel instead of the z-start pro ESP for trail riding. Just putting that out there

Good deal. how do you like the flywheel?

Haven't ridden it yet - but leaving soon for a week long trip with lots of trail riding (and hard to get to single track stuff)