Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F / YZ450F Street legal maintenance

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some help and advice.

I would like to get a 2014 YZ450F or YZ250F for road use rather than motocross use.
I know that the maintenance is quite high on a dirt bike with frequent oil changes, filter changes, valve checks, even piston and crank replacement.

I appreciate that for motocross, the bikes will be pushed to their limit and are always being used at the top of their RPM range.
But for street use, i won't be going everywhere with the throttle always wound onto full all the time. It will be used for around 3 to 4 hours each weekend for a bit of fun.

Based on that fact, will the maintenance level be so high for my intended use?

And could anyone tell me what would be the likely maintenance based on my intended street use?

Cheers,
John

Edited by tamasuperstar

If your just using it for off road/street use then why buy an MX bike? I would not buy an MX race bike to ride strictly off road/street. You would be better off buying an enduro. That said if your only riding it for short periods of time as you suggested I would just do the normal maintenance according to the manual. JMHO

• Like 1

good luck getting the YZ street legal first of all. its a major PITA with all the mods you have to do. bigger alternator battery lights brake lights etc etc etc.

Get the WRXXX*R* which is already street legal and very offroad capable. I think there are even some important engine differences to the WRxxx*F* in that is meant to be ridden on the street longer. I don't know, certainly gearing will be way different, longer on the R.

Anyways, start with that and not a YZ. Plus they have an electric starter OMG kicking a YZ on public roads.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

The WR250R looks like a really nice bike but unfortunately they don't import them into the UK anymore. That's what i was looking at in the first place.

I'm not keen on the looks of the WR....F bikes. I really like the look of the YZ450F motocross bike. In the UK, i'm able to get it street legal without lights, etc for daytime riding. All i have to do to make it road legal here is to put street tyres on and fit a horn to it.

It's the high maintenance issue on the YZ450F that i have heard conflicting views, such as a piston change every 30 hours and a crank change every 60 hours, oil change every 10 hours, etc.

Those intervals are for track riding / maybe even racing. Still i wouldn't want a bike i'd have to rebuild the engine two or three times a year. That just silly.

anyways what you want is called a super moto. You can make one from just about any bike. KTM has a ready solution and i bet they do sell it in the UK. I bet its just as expensive as converting the YZ, but it won't be as good. Its not just tires and horn, you also have to consider the brakes with street tires. Off-road brakes won't cut it if you ride well enough.

you're pretty fixated on this. my 0.02 is for you to look at something else. DRZ400 CRF250L.. that's another one. I'd prefer a bigger engine for mostly street riding. 350+, i've been on a DR650 and that's already too big and heavy to offroad for me.

OR do like i did. Get a dirt bike AND a street bike. I ride the gnarliest ** on my WR and race AFM on a 600RR.

• Like 1

define "slow", says a person that rides a 125 : p

A bone stock YZ will top out around 65-70mph, and because of stock gearing.

I'd still get a 400 or 450 so its not revving the engine to hell at reasonable street speeds. That KTM 450 SMR looks mighty attractive!

• Like 1

I actually have a yz250f now haha just never changed my user name. But just from experience riding on the road on any half way fast road I would be 5th just about pinned.I can't imagine that would be much fun to do for extended periods of time

You'd probably be better off starting with WR instead of a YZ as they have gearing that's better suited for street use.  You could take off the lights, although I don't know why you'd want to, and make it look like a YZ.  Then you would have electric start and a speedometer.  

Riding a YZ on the street and not having it rev'd to the moon all the time you can probably get 200 hours before a rebuild, if the 2014 motor is as reliable as previous models.  I doubt the yz250f will be.  It will have to be geared for street use, and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input.

The reason why i'm wanting the YZ450F is they because they look so good and they sound really good fun to ride.  I much prefer the look of the YZF to the WRF.

Is the WR450F much less maintenance than the YZ450F? I have been told that the 2015 WR450F is going to have a facelift that will make it look similar to the YZ450F.

If that's the case, then i'm probably better off waiting for that.

First, I'd ask the people who work at the vehicle registration places over there and get it directly from them as to what it takes to get a YZ legally and legit registered and approved for street use.

I may be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me that it would take more than just street-approved tires and a horn to do that, especially these days.

Over here, some guys make the mistake of thinking along the same lines of where getting a dirt-only bike legally registered for street use will be a walk in the park with little time and money sunk into the project, and then they get a rude awakening when they find out that it takes more than they thought.

As for how a YZ450F would function on the street:

Unless you ride the bike in tighter quarters where you won't break 45mph often, you are going to gear the bike up.

First gear will be taller, along with all of the other 4 gear ratios.

Nothing gets old as fast as having a fun bike that feels like it isn't making you feel good about trying to run with 50mph-and-faster traffic because it's geared too low.

As mentioned, the stock front brake will suddenly feel too weak if you plan an actually riding it like a supermotard with bona-fide sportbike-sized wheels and sport tires fitted.

The stock front brake is just too small for that, and I know that I'd be forking out the money for a top-of-the-line motard front brake setup of big rotor, big caliper, and proper master cylinder.

The WR-250X (and WR-250R) actually share nothing in common with any YZ or WR-250F, other than being Yamaha motorcycles.

Different engines, different chassis, different suspension, and a different feel while riding them.

They are much more tame in exchange for being able to do many thousands of street miles under the care of the typical dimwit who doesn't even know how to take care of a motorcycle (and doesn't want to know).

The only resemblance with these bikes is an optical illusion that's intentional.

I wouldn't be surprised that you'd get at least a season of riding a YZ-450F on the street before a major overhaul is needed unless you, too, are one of the dimwits that only seems hell bent on wrecking your expensive motorcycle with animal abuse yet not even performing basic maintenance, something that is very common with the typical motocross rider who rides for fun.

Stay on top of air filter maintenance (even if the bike stays on the street), change the engine oil frequently, check the valve clearances once in a while, and don't try to wreck it just to impress somebody.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 1

First, I'd ask the people who work at the vehicle registration places over there and get it directly from them as to what it takes to get a YZ legally and legit registered and approved for street use.

I may be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me that it would take more than just street-approved tires and a horn to do that, especially these days.

Over here, some guys make the mistake of thinking along the same lines of where getting a dirt-only bike legally registered for street use will be a walk in the park with little time and money sunk into the project, and then they get a rude awakening when they find out that it takes more than they thought.

As for how a YZ450F would function on the street:

Unless you ride the bike in tighter quarters where you won't break 45mph often, you are going to gear the bike up.

First gear will be taller, along with all of the other 4 gear ratios.

Nothing gets old as fast as having a fun bike that feels like it isn't making you feel good about trying to run with 50mph-and-faster traffic because it's geared too low.

As mentioned, the stock front brake will suddenly feel too weak if you plan an actually riding it like a supermotard with bona-fide sportbike-sized wheels and sport tires fitted.

The stock front brake is just too small for that, and I know that I'd be forking out the money for a top-of-the-line motard front brake setup of big rotor, big caliper, and proper master cylinder.

The WR-250X (and WR-250R) actually share nothing in common with any YZ or WR-250F, other than being Yamaha motorcycles.

Different engines, different chassis, different suspension, and a different feel while riding them.

They are much more tame in exchange for being able to do many thousands of street miles under the care of the typical dimwit who doesn't even know how to take care of a motorcycle (and doesn't want to know).

The only resemblance with these bikes is an optical illusion that's intentional.

I wouldn't be surprised that you'd get at least a season of riding a YZ-450F on the street before a major overhaul is needed unless you, too, are one of the dimwits that only seems hell bent on wrecking your expensive motorcycle with animal abuse yet not even performing basic maintenance, something that is very common with the typical motocross rider who rides for fun.

Stay on top of air filter maintenance (even if the bike stays on the street), change the engine oil frequently, check the valve clearances once in a while, and don't try to wreck it just to impress somebody.

Thanks, that's been very helpful. I will be certain to check that the bike can be made road legal for definite before purchasing, otherwise it would be useless to me as i'm not intending on using it off road. I would be keeping with the look of the standard bike so i won't be putting the smaller diameter supermotard wheels on it. I will be keeping with the stock wheels.

I have decided that the YZ450F would be the better option over the YZ250F. In theory, it won't need to be pushed as hard (meaning much less wear and tear on the engine) to get some reasonable performance from it. The standard gearing is something that i am aware is an issue for the road. What would you recommend are the best sprocket sizes to make it more rideable on the road?

I definitely intend to keep up with the regular oil changes and air filter changes. My main concern was that the piston and crank would need replacing very frequently but it seems that most people are saying these engines are very reliable with regular oil changes and filter changes.

Edited by tamasuperstar

MXA apparently has 200+ hours on there '14 YZ250F without any movement from the valves. If that's true that is quite impressive, and I assume it is since Yamaha is known for its reliability.

• Like 1

I'd try a rear sprocket with two teeth less for starters.

• Like 1