Sign in to follow this  

Best 2 stroke engine oil?

I have a 1991 kx500 what is the best engine oil I should use ? I normally mix the gas with Yamalube 2R is this the same oil u can put in the bottom end?

If I understand you correctly, then NO!  you mix your gas with 2 stroke oil, which is completely different than the gear oil your bottom end needs for bearing protection.  whatever you use, it should be a motorcycle oil for wet clutches or it might cause your clutch to slip

In my 2-stroke Suzuki RM250, I always use Lucas 10w40 semi-synthetic motorcycle. Mostly because it's so easy to find, no matter where I'm riding, I can grab a quart from O'Reilly Auto Parts.  It does say it's made for wet clutches on the bottle.  It's definitely not the best oil, but I like it. I have always heard bel-ray gear saver is good stuff.  it sure is expensive.  Some guys use ATF because it makes the clutch feel different & it's really cheap so you can change it a lot without breaking the bank, but I'd be worried that doesn't provide enough protection for my crank bearings on a long trail ride or hard ride on a track...  My buddy runs Royal Purple gear lube in his CR250, & while it probably provides great protection for the crank, it probably slips slightly more with the clutch than a "wet clutch" designed oil would...he still beats me through the trails tho!

Edited by chevyrulz

Yamalube 2R is great oil for the top end. As for the bottom end I would stop by Wal Mart or your local auto parts store and pick up a gallon of Shell Rotella T in the white bottle. It's cheap and does the job! 

I have used Golden Spectro semi syn. In tranny. 80 wt. Also their 2 stroke oil mixed at 50:1

Cr500. Desert racing. My engine's have lasted seemingly forever. Yamalube burns dirty and leaves deposits. Spectro doesn't.

• Like 2

Anyone who thinks that ATF doesn't supply enough lubrication for their bottom ends should go have a look at the odometers on their automatic equipped cars, and trucks. There's bearings, and clutches in them.

If I understand you correctly, then NO!  you mix your gas with 2 stroke oil, which is completely different than the gear oil your bottom end needs for bearing protection.  whatever you use, it should be a motorcycle oil for wet clutches or it might cause your clutch to slip

In my 2-stroke Suzuki RM250, I always use Lucas 10w40 semi-synthetic motorcycle. Mostly because it's so easy to find, no matter where I'm riding, I can grab a quart from O'Reilly Auto Parts.  It does say it's made for wet clutches on the bottle.  It's definitely not the best oil, but I like it. I have always heard bel-ray gear saver is good stuff.  it sure is expensive.  Some guys use ATF because it makes the clutch feel different & it's really cheap so you can change it a lot without breaking the bank, but I'd be worried that doesn't provide enough protection for my crank bearings on a long trail ride or hard ride on a track...  My buddy runs Royal Purple gear lube in his CR250, & while it probably provides great protection for the crank, it probably slips slightly more with the clutch than a "wet clutch" designed oil would...he still beats me through the trails tho!

The oil you run in your tranny has nothing whatsoever to do with lubricating the crank bearings.

• Like 1