Sign in to follow this  

New bike owner thirsty for knowledge

Hi everyone, my friends finally talked me into getting a dirt bike. I recently bought a 06 125, the bike is all stock and all original except for the rear tire. I bought it from the original owner and it has been meticulously maintained.

Anything to watch out for on this particular bike?

Fuel: Is there any combination of gas/oil that the majority agrees is best for these bikes? I mixed up 32:1 super m with 93 pump gas and c12 half and half...seems to be okay?

Also what's some good reading material related to service and jetting?

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400165532.950406.jpg

Good bike to start on. You will be good on the oil mixture. Half c12 is probably a bit overkill for a stock bike. I would run. 25 percent personally to keep the cost down. I don't run fuel with Ethanol in it also. Change your bottom end oil every 3-5 hours, maybe install an hour meter so you can keep up with maintenance. Read through your service / owners manual and you'll find out lots.

Also , your front tire is just as important as a rear. From the pic it looks like it needs replacing. Looks a bit rounded off.

Have fun man. Braaaap!

Edited by Tony211

I'll definitely toss an hour meter on it! Anyone recommend a good start for woods gearing? I'm thinking +2 on the rear chain wheel..

What is on it right now? I run a 50-52 in the back depending on the track. I don't mind the lose of top end as its more in momentum. I prefer if I lean the bike over and drag bars in a corner that I can bring it back up not stall or bog it down.

Things you might need:

Hand guards- I prefer the acerbic tri fit. can run moto deflectors or full wraps in 3 bolts.

Skid plate- many to choose from

FMF Shorty- more bottom end crispness

suspension work

just a few things I recommend personally.

GoYamaha