Sign in to follow this  

Shifter options?

I really love riding my '82 200, but hate the shifter. I'm trying to figure out a way to raise it up so it's easier to get to with boots on while standing. The stator cover makes it impossible to raise the stock shifter. I'm thinking about heating and bending the shifter so it clears the cover. Just wondering if any one else has done something similar?

There are a variety of OEM and aftermarket levers that fit the various versions of these 2 valve motors, different lengths, different offsets, and different toe ends (fixed and folding).  All of the XR185/200 levers have folding tips, except the 81-84 twin shock XR200 have fixed tip. XL, ATC, TRX, etc also have fixed tips.

The correct stock, or equivelent aftermarket, lever for 86-02 will have its toe end very close to the vertical centerline of the left side cover, and enough joggle, or offset, to just clear the side cover.  I no longer have an early XR to look at, they were a little different but the fit was similar. So  maybe your lever got bent inward a bit from a fall.

Know exactly what you mean.  I have an 82 as well, and it could do to be a bit higher, and maybe a bit longer.  Pretty sure the short one's are correct for the older models as there's a punch mark on the shaft that lines up with the slot in the shifter, and that's the highest setting it can be before it would touch the casing when upshifting.

I just ordered a msr aluminum shifter for a late model xr100, it looks about right. I'll post a follow up when it gets here.

Installed the MSR shifter today. It was just what I was looking for. It's about 3/4" longer than the stocker and it clears the stator cover just fine. It looks like good quality and is forged aluminum.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400384175.884700.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400384207.950792.jpg