Sign in to follow this  

Sprockets and gearing, experience needed!

So I have been researching and reading and looking and thinking about the new sprockets I want to get. I just bought the bike, I like it. I will be getting the FCR upgrade at some point for sure but its got enough power for me in the meantime. Ive read that 14/47 is probably the best setup for dirt riding, and 15/45 is probably the best for street riding. I know some of you have 15/44 maybe or something close. 

I would like to have 2 front sprockets. I doubt going from a 14 to a 15T front will make a huge difference. I do maybe half street half dirt, but I want to have more power when i go on camping weekends or something. times when i know ill be riding alot of dirt. 

What im thinking is. I will buy 13/45 (instead of the 14/47, they should be very close to the same i think) combo for when im off roading alot, but when ill be puttering around town, ill switch the front one out to a 15T. sound like a good idea to you guys?! im open to any and all opinions! Thanks!

So I have been researching and reading and looking and thinking about the new sprockets I want to get. I just bought the bike, I like it. I will be getting the FCR upgrade at some point for sure but its got enough power for me in the meantime. Ive read that 14/47 is probably the best setup for dirt riding, and 15/45 is probably the best for street riding. I know some of you have 15/44 maybe or something close.

I would like to have 2 front sprockets. I doubt going from a 14 to a 15T front will make a huge difference. I do maybe half street half dirt, but I want to have more power when i go on camping weekends or something. times when i know ill be riding alot of dirt.

What im thinking is. I will buy 13/45 (instead of the 14/47, they should be very close to the same i think) combo for when im off roading alot, but when ill be puttering around town, ill switch the front one out to a 15T. sound like a good idea to you guys?! im open to any and all opinions! Thanks!

I think a lot of guys change out rear sprockets instead of front because constantly changing out the front can wear that seal or wear on the CS shaft? I thought I saw that somewhere but can't remember! Maybe E.Marquez will jump in confirm or deny that! 13t might be a bit much though as my 15t did ok and so I bought a 14t that will do pretty good in tight woods.single track and small but steep hill climbs! So I'm going to be running 14/44!

I like 14/44 for the street (no freeway and only some highway) and 14/49 for the dirt (mostly single track).  I got tired of changing sprockets so when I could afford it I got an extra set of wheels.  That way I can have the Trailwings for street and gravel and good off road knobbies for the dirt.  Makes both riding experiences much better. 

• Like 2

yeah 2 sets is the way to go for sure... it takes less than 5 min to change out a front sprocket, and like half hour to change out a rear. thats my reasoning. i think ill just buy another rear rim.

go 15 / 53 and you wont eat the swingarm slider up like a 13/whatever will

then, if you really want to crawl, toss a 14 on it, but don't expect >55mph

• Like 1

go 15 / 53 and you wont eat the swingarm slider up like a 13/whatever will

then, if you really want to crawl, toss a 14 on it, but don't expect >55mph

How does that 53 tooth fit with the lower chain guide?  I have 49 teeth on my set up and the angle into the lower guide looks like it is going to eat away the plastic faster than the stock sprocket would.

As mentioned, I've read that dropping the front sprocket down leads to eating into the swingarm if you don't stay on top of it so bear that in mind. I'm going with the 15/47 as I ride more dirt and never hit interstate/freeways, only the occasional blacktop as needed.

This is a good reference... http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZgea.php

Edited by Zed_1K