Sign in to follow this  

Montesa cota 315R tranny oil

Montesa specs Elf HTX740, a very thin synthetic gear oil that is difficult to find in my location.   So I did some research and started using Valvoline Dextron VI synthetic ATF, works great and clutch action is a bit smoother at lockup.  ATF  is a gear oil for wet clutches and is used by a lot of bike owners with separated tranny/clutches. 

You can also use any engine oil that is JASO-MA rated (a wet clutch rating) but they will be much thicker than the Elf or Valvoline oils, and the clutch won't hook up as quickly.   I run Shell Rotella T6 synthetic engine oil in my XRs (tranny & engine share oil).

The clutch is a Honda clutch and I found that Honda has several types of plates that fit the clutch basket from paper to cork. The paper is grabby, the cork is smoother.  Montesa mixes paper/cork plates to fine tune clutch action and so can you, some have swapped in CR250 cork frictions.

Also CR125/250 steel discs with dimples if you have an early 315R.

Trials Central in their Montesa forum has several threads discussing 315R/4RT clutch issues and fixes.

I'm with Chuck on this one, that Rotella synthetic is hard to beat!  Just bought a yz 250-smoker and the clutch was really touchy/grabbie, change out the 80W yamaha brand they had in the tranny to the Rotella and I tell you it is like a new clutch!!!  Very, very smooth action now, NO KIDDING EITHER.

Kirk

I'm with Chuck on this one, that Rotella synthetic is hard to beat!  Just bought a yz 250-smoker and the clutch was really touchy/grabbie, change out the 80W yamaha brand they had in the tranny to the Rotella and I tell you it is like a new clutch!!!  Very, very smooth action now, NO KIDDING EITHER.

Kirk

Yep, you can fine tune the clutch action.  In my XR I like the clutch action of the dino Rotella T oil slightly better than the syn Rotella T6 but I run the syn oil because of the air cooled engine. 

In addition to my Montesa mentioned above I have a CRF250X and when running Valvoline Dextron VI in the tranny the clutch action is similar to my Montesa, but they have the same size Honda clutch.

I just installed a Rekluse in my X and I would like quicker hookup so may try a non-Dextron ATF, or maybe I need to swap in a few paper frictions like Montesa uses on the 315R & 4RT.  

@Ud_Luz: Does the GM Autotrack have wet clutches? The reason I ask is the GM Dextron ATFs are different from other oils to provide smoother clutch lockup so GM may do the same for the Autotrak oil.  And my 315 with Dextron ATF has the smoothest clutch of any bike I've owned, I jokingly refer to the clutch lever as my hydrostatic drive control.

GM auto transfer cases have wet clutches. The issue with them was a design problem causing wear on the t-case itself. Rather than fixing the issue they came out with this high quality lube to address it. Turns out it works quite well in certain motorcycle wet clutch applications.