Sign in to follow this  

New rider! need info

Hello thumpertalk forum. I recently bought my first bike and learned to ride. A Chinese make 2007 Kinroad XT 200cc enduro with 4xx miles on it.. for $700.. I rode it about a month and it didn't take me long to realize I wanted something meatier.. so I sold it for $1100 and put the $ toward a 2003 Honda XR650L w/19,000 soft miles. For $2,000 so I basically traded that Chinese and $900 bucks for it.. bike runs good.. does not smoke. And has good compression. Does it sound like it was a good choice? And is there anything I should be aware of? .. the smog-tapus has already been removed.. not sure bout the snorkel tho.. I'm not mech savvy enough yet to do any jetting or anything technical as of yet. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks and decided to join today.

Smog-tapus is my new favorite word. 

Welcome to the boards stockjunkee84; you'll soon learn that reading this forum will be quite detrimental to your wallet! As for things to watch out for I think everyone will agree that you should check out your countershaft splines for abuse and if they're good swapping in an XR650R countershaft sprocket in its stead. 

Ok thanks, I haven't really checked anything yet. I'm a truck driver and was horribly dispatched right after getting the bike home.. only got to ride it around bout 20 mins.. but like it so much already I've considered buying a new one when this one is done.. I'm not even sure how to check countershaft splines.. : / .. it does have good clean oil in it tho..

+1 on Smog-tapus, as far as things to check, you have three oil filters. The obvious one accessed by the roundish cover on the right side held on by the three screws, one in the bottom of the frame down tube where the oil line hooks on and one inside the clutch cover.

I would definatly check the frame filter screen as it seems to catch most of the metal chunks and can give you a good idea of the maintenance that has been performed on the bike.

Next, i would check. The valve adjustment.

Ok thanks,I'll have a look at them too.. I didnt know there was more than one.. another thing it does is that thing where when its idling.. and you crack the throttle.. it will gag for a second before it actually revs up.. the first mod I intend to make is the oil thermometer dipstick..

Ok thanks, I haven't really checked anything yet. I'm a truck driver and was horribly dispatched right after getting the bike home.. only got to ride it around bout 20 mins.. but like it so much already I've considered buying a new one when this one is done.. I'm not even sure how to check countershaft splines.. : / .. it does have good clean oil in it tho..

Welcome to TT! Im a truck driver too. First off you are NEW to motorcycles and working on them! So I take it you dont understand a LOT of what you read so dont jump off the deep end or you WILL drown! You got a good bike for now just ride it and learn how to ride it before you start trying to do mods etc. One easy thing to check is the countershaft sprocket splines just take off cover remove the sprocket you will need to loosed the axle and move rear wheel forward to be able to get sprocket off  then the XR650R sprocket will help protect the shaft! The what you call the gag when you whack throttle open is normal I take it you are doing with bike idleing in netural they dont like that! I can get into the tech of why but dont think you can fully understand ( not that im calling you dumb) If it has low miles and was taken care of dont worry so much about all the oil filters like the one in motor well the one behind clutch cover! Would do oil change and change the main filtervand clean one on downtube of frame. Im on my 2nd 650L got the first one made now building my second one. I know these bikes will help try to explain anything to help you. Here is my two toys 05 XR650L in building stage and my new one 2013 KTM990SMT

CAM00116.jpg

KTM990SMT.jpg

Nice bikes.. thanks for the reply.. yea I didn't rev it out or anything just checking throttle response.Its certainly meaner than that pos 200cc Chinese no-name I had.. everything seems tight so far.. has 19,000miles on it now. It runs clean and is very torquey.. I posted a pic of it for my profile picture but couldn't figure out how to post on the thread.. I appreciate all the information. Thanks guys.. and for the welcome's.. :)

Nice bikes.. thanks for the reply.. yea I didn't rev it out or anything just checking throttle response.Its certainly meaner than that pos 200cc Chinese no-name I had.. everything seems tight so far.. has 19,000miles on it now. It runs clean and is very torquey.. I posted a pic of it for my profile picture but couldn't figure out how to post on the thread.. I appreciate all the information. Thanks guys.. and for the welcome's.. :)

One easy way to post pics is when you are posting a reply down on bottom of page you will see add a attachment click on choose then you go to where the jpg is on computer. Click on it then you will be back at the post page and you will see the file in box then click on button just below the file add atachment click on it then you will see the pic loaded click on post button. you can repeat and add more pics before you post. Then when you see a atachment posted click on it to see full size pic.

Ok, I've ridden the bike a few months now and haven't ran into any issues I've changed oil, oil filter, air filter, brake pads, bled brake fluid and replaced and have run premium gas since day 1.. now its time for a new chain and front and back sprockets. As well as tires upcoming soon.. as far as I know it has the stock sprockets on. Is there any recommendations on my options for sprocket sizes? I am on the highway mostly but also enjoy the pigs' torque sometimes.. as far as tires.. I'm lookin at the Shinko 700 series dual sport 60% hwy 40% dirt tires.

You are probably fine with the stock sprocket sizes for what/how you ride. You can check out this sprocket calculator (http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/) if you want to play around and see how different sizes will affect speed and torque. I have the Shinko 700's front and rear. They are good tires for the price. I ride primarily dirt and gravel and the rear is a little too street oriented for that. If I was mainly riding hard top I'd get them again for sure but I'm going with something a little more aggressive next time around. I have about 2000 miles on mine now and the front still looks brand new but the rear is nearing end of life. Keep in mind my riding style though, I think I wear them out more quickly than average. I would expect them to last 4000 or so on mostly highway.