Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of buying new drz400sm?'s

I am thinking about buying a new drz400sm here really soon. Anyone want to convince me that it's a good idea, or throw a few pro/cons about their own experiences. Anyone out there ever take short trips on theirs? How well does it do? Fill me in with the details on why or why I shouldn't buy it! I'm straddling the fence so let's see if I can be persuaded one way or another.

I got a drz400s... Love my bike.. Ride it on short trips.. Long trips etc.. Im still a 50-50 dirt street rider... The seat is my biggest complaint... Very uncomfortable

Are you thinking about buying one Brand new off the dealer lot? Personally i think at 7200 + taxes and destinations fees they are way overpriced. The bike has basically not changed since 03 and I know, that at least it my area finding lightly used (10k or less) miles for 3-4grand was very doable. I picked my 2006 up with 6500 miles and a couple of the more desirable mods already complete for only 4k. Guy also threw in a bunch of his gear too. 

Short trips are awesome, but it gets a bit uncomfortable after about an hour in the saddle. It does alright on the highway but you can tell its pretty tapped out by about 70 mph on the highway. 

Whether or not the DRZ is right for you depends on how you intend to use it. 

So what are you looking for in a motorcycle????????

If you want a highway machine the DRZ is not for you.

If you want to win/be competitive in Supermoto races the DRZ is not for you.

If you want a reliable, fun, inexpensive, and low maintenance motorcycle then the DRZ is a great option.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 3

I bought a brand new DRZ-SM in mid March and haven't regretted it one bit. As others have stated the seat is my biggest complaint but the beauty of DRZ is so many aftermarket options for everything!! Also, do a little research on the Costco Auto program. I found a participating dealer and it saved me $1,200 off the sticker price. 

Most of my riding is short blasts on the streets, popping a few wheelies. Quick off road bursts and commuting 12 miles to work

• Like 1

I love my 2013, it is a blast on the street and and does just fine commuting on the highway.

• Like 1

Most of my riding is short blasts on the streets, popping a few wheelies. Quick off road bursts and commuting 12 miles to work

Well by the looks of it the DRZ would be a good fit for your kind of riding. 

Don't dismiss the idea of a good used one. The money you save can go towards the mods you will inevitably end up doing. I don't know your financial situation, but rest assured the purchase price is just the start - not the endgame.

• Like 2

Don't dismiss the idea of a good used one. The money you save can go towards the mods you will inevitably end up doing. I don't know your financial situation, but rest assured the purchase price is just the start - not the endgame.

+1

I picked up a new 2014 DRZSM I agree with some of the previous posts that if you can find a good used one it makes more sense. Unfortunately for me up here in lovely Alaska used drz's especially SM arent for sale unless they were beat to piss or they want almost 5k for 8k+ miles. I also plan on keeping my bike for quite some time. Think of it this way, you can buy the best most expensive bike in the world this year and next year a new more expensive better bike is going to come out while you'll be stuck with yours. So buy something that you like and that you'll enjoy.

• Like 2

I picked up a new 2014 DRZSM I agree with some of the previous posts that if you can find a good used one it makes more sense. Unfortunately for me up here in lovely Alaska used drz's especially SM arent for sale unless they were beat to piss or they want almost 5k for 8k+ miles. I also plan on keeping my bike for quite some time. Think of it this way, you can buy the best most expensive bike in the world this year and next year a new more expensive better bike is going to come out while you'll be stuck with yours. So buy something that you like and that you'll enjoy.

Solid advice!

Are you thinking about buying one Brand new off the dealer lot? Personally i think at 7200 + taxes and destinations fees they are way overpriced. The bike has basically not changed since 03 and I know, that at least it my area finding lightly used (10k or less) miles for 3-4grand was very doable. I picked my 2006 up with 6500 miles and a couple of the more desirable mods already complete for only 4k. Guy also threw in a bunch of his gear too. 

Short trips are awesome, but it gets a bit uncomfortable after about an hour in the saddle. It does alright on the highway but you can tell its pretty tapped out by about 70 mph on the highway. 

someone told me about a dealer in sd that was selling them for $6000 otd..

Solid advice!

Dealer I am speaking with in Birmingham Alabama is selling for 6500+ taxes. I live in Mississippi so I will pay 6500 and being it back to my tax office and pay taxes here in my state

• Like 1

Don't forget to look for leftover new older models. I picked up a 2012 brand new for $5200 OTD. I had to drive 3hrs one way to pick it up, but was worth the money savings. Now if the dmv would just give me my permanent tag.... :banghead:

• Like 3

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400869085.725259.jpg

I bought it! I will be picking up my 2014 drz400sm in the morning! Too stoked!!!!!!!!

• Like 3