Chest Protector or NO?

I was t boned by a dude on a 250f the one time I didn't have on a chest protector. I woke up groaning, didn't remember impact but ended up with collaped lung, 7 broken ribs and seperated shoulder. I wish I would have been wearing a chest protector.

Standard or basic roost deflectors often have little padding. I lined the front of mine with the foam inserts from a children's life preserver. It was a perfect fit and now pads the entire front of my body instead of the tiny padded area the deflector came with. I'm pretty confident it would now absorb most impacts and am sure it has helped on some of my unscheduled get offs.

Yeah the last chest protector I had was a Fox. It had flimsy plastic and little to no padding except around the shoulders and the bottom of it. I wouldn't have put much faith in it from saving your vital organs in a serious get off.

Really it was just a roost guard.

Edited by MXRider72

I have an uncanny knack for hitting any area just outside the chest protector. Maybe I get hit all the time and these are the places that I feel it. Snagging branches in the opening on the sides and where the protection stops at the shoulder sucks but I'll take that over the alternative. Almost got jousted off the bike one time, caught a branch in my stomach just below the protector

They are cheap and roost sucks, get one.

Edited by uuc328

Almost got jousted off the bike one time, caught a branch in my stomach just below the protector

They are cheap and roost sucks, get one.

This happened to me last year for second time in my life. Caught a 1" diameter tree branch in the chest at speed, it ended up stabbing me in shoulder, but hey, I can heal from a bruised shoulder, better than impaled in the chest.

Get a chest protector.

It could save your life.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 1

where we ride there are lots of tight trails through the woods I find that the chest protector with the shoulder pads is a good idea

you can lean into a tree with your shoulder pads and bounce off.plus if you fall they sure do help.

• Like 1