Hi,today I opened the shock, the stack are: 

Comp:

40.02 x 10

32:25

Reb:

36.15 x 4

26.3 x 4

spring 5.3

It looks like compression side is very very stiff, light rebound... I think that is the reason why the bike corners so good, the rear is held high even with the spring being soft for me. But it is really rough everywhere except mx. Does someone have any experience with the bike and some recommendations for the stacks? I just want to try a few options to see what fits me... Also Im going to change the spring, thinking of 5.6...? 

I have the same bike and I can confirm that the compression is stiff and the rebound is light.  I'm 190 with gear and the stock spring is good for me.  I run C14 and R7 and I'm not happy with the shock.  The forks are OK and I can't really complain about them.  I would love to get some better stacks to try out.  It is a KYB shock with a smaller shaft than what you see on the newer Yamahas so the tuners on here know what we are talking about.  Shock likes to hop up.  I find it corners better when you soften compression a bit and drop rear end a bit.  I'm glad you brought this up.  Thanks.

Edited by delleetodd

Compression does not look too bad. you may want to use .25 hs shims all the way down.

Make sure that the cadj. ports are 3mm and use the light fc spring on the cadj.

The rebound sucks.

use something like

3x36.3

I'm pretty sure that will make a huge difference.

You can keep them. They mostly act as spacers.

Remove the 25 od shim on the comp for good and, as I already said, use .25 thickness of all hs shims.

Keep the 24 clamp, its alright with the rest of the stack.

However, this is what I would recommend for mx.

I have the feeling that the threadopener rides woods too.

But there are too less information anyway for detailed advice. Weight is missing, height is missing etc.

Edited by Vietze

Well, it depends on the cadj style.

I assume that your husky uses the YZ/KXF style cadj with the longer spring (at least thats what I found on a TE 449 13...).

It depends on the application. If you use it for woods only, the soft one will be alright.

If you are over 90 kg and ride mx too you may be better off with the medium spring.

My weight is 85kg, height 190cm. I ride mostly mx, but sometimes I go into woods and some crosscountry races. But I dont want to soften the shock too much because cornering is good now, I had kx 250 f before and it was a nightmare-low seat height and the rear was always low under acceleration.  I will get the right spring and maybe a bit softer valving.

Your good with the medium spring.

The main spring on the shock should be fine for your weight and application, if you have the feeling that the rear is too low, you might want to use a 5.4 spring because you are tall.

Edited by Vietze

Vietze, can I use some of the shims removed from the compression stack in the rebound stack?  What is the I.D. on the shims so I can get them ordered?  Those are my final questions thank you.  I'll come back in a week or two and let you know how it feels.

Yesterday I looked into forks. 

Stacks:

Mid:

20.12 x 4

17.12 x 3

11.25 x 2

17.3 x 3

collar 5.3mm, 0.15mm shim under collar.

float 0.2mm measured. 

Reb:

20.12 x 4

Comp:

32.12 x 18

So the fork stacks are not as stiff as shock stacks. But there is 10wt oil, if not thicker. It doesnt want to flow out of fork and when I dipped MV into oil, it was like honey. Tried the same in putoline 5w, which is thicker than showa 5w and it is more like water... 

I read the manual and it recommends KYB KHL 15-11- its 7.5 wt, and 5wt when cold weather... Which oil should I use now? Before i always used 5w. But it seems like the oil was very clean after 30 hours of riding, when i had showas oil was black after 1-2rides in both chambers, but it was old bike... Does the oil make difference in wear of fork parts? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Vietze, sorry I have one last question. In the shock rebound stack, you listed two 32.3 shims in a row. Was that a typing error or did you write that on purpose. Thanks again.

Typo, sorry....

• Like 1