Sign in to follow this  

Should you adjust both clickers?

Ok asked this before but no real good answer.  Ok so say I go from a good clay/sand mix track to a pretty loamy sandy track.  Front end I usually go 1-2 clicks in on the rebound on the forks and maybe a little bit softer on the shock comp for traction.  Now what i'm asking is there a general rule that if you adjust rebound/comp you would adjust the other end also?

• Like 1

The bottom line is to find a balance that gives you confidence when riding. Settings that allow you to just rip and forget about the bike are what is needed. Take time to test different combinations and fine tune what YOU like. Clicker testing is free, just do it!

• Like 1

No there is not a general rule that you have to change both settings. However if u change the 1 it can have an effect on the other. You need to be able to assess how your suspension is reacting due to certain terrains and make adequate changes to improve the handling and comfort. Noting: clickers are only a fine tune device as they restrict/ increase oil flow through the damping rods- major components like springs(tension&rate), oil viscosity/quantity/air gap, valve bodies and shim stacks play the larger roles in defining your suspension characteristics. It can sometimes help if you get someone to video you riding and watch how the suspension is performing.

NOTE: not referring to later model air forks!

As mentioned , its a preference type of thing  , a really fast rider will adjust the same bike differently than a slower  or older ro shorter rider  , that is why when they do shootouts in magazines they have 5 testers riding the same bike and each of the adjust it differently from front to back  ....that said

If i am riding a sand track with a hardpack base (sand/clay) i just adjust the compression a little softer  , and leave the rebound alone, and for deep sand i stiffen the comp a couple clicks  , i do the shock and the fork the same  , if i do 2 clicks stiffer on the fork i do the low speed comp on the shock 2 clicks as well , it keeps the suspension balanced  , if your suspension is set up right for your speed and weight you should only have to go a few clicks on the comp or rebound to get the bike to feel good/planted  , if it does not , then you need a re-valve   , if i ride off road i only go 4 clicks softer on the comp and i am good to go  , that is how it should be  , 2-6 clicks max should get you fairly well going from surface to surface (sand,hardpack,loam ,etc,etc) , again , if its not then you need a re-valve and possibly a re-spring to go along with it  , the faster you are the stiffer you will need it  ..........but .............you should not have to spend half the day messing with clickers  , if its that hard to get it right , then the valving is not set right for you  , and needs to be redone , simple as that

Edited by 450XJimDirt

Deep sand slow down rebound 2 clicks to start. Stiffen compression as needed.