Main difference between 7/8" and 1 1/8" Bars?

Main difference is 2/8 of an inch!

Ive ridden with both and cant tell a difference in feel. Ive never bent a set of 1 1\8 even with some spectacular get offs. I have bent a set of 7/8s but they were a crappy steel set. Good pair of either is fine in my book. With how cheap adapters are if you need good bars 1 1/8 isnt a bad idea for the added insurance against bent bars. In my opinion thats the only advantage for most,

Ive ridden with both and cant tell a difference in feel. Ive never bent a set of 1 1\8 even with some spectacular get offs. I have bent a set of 7/8s but they were a crappy steel set. Good pair of either is fine in my book. With how cheap adapters are if you need good bars 1 1/8 isnt a bad idea for the added insurance against bent bars. In my opinion thats the only advantage for most,

1/4, fractions should always be stated in lowest terms :prof:

• Like 5

Sorry in advance if their is already a thread covering this, but I searched the best I could! So with my Kawasaki KX250f they came with stock 7/8" Renthals, but I want to get bigger clamps what is the main difference and is it worth it?

The main difference? They're a quarter inch thicker.  :excuseme:

I run 7/8" bars with no complaints. Have I ever bent one? Of course. 1 1/8" bars will bend too. Anything can be bent/broken in the right crash.

I personally prefer the additional flex of the smaller bars.

• Like 1

I also haven't bent a set of 1.125" bars, but I have definitely crashed hard on them.. harder than it takes to bend 7/8 bars.  They pay for themselves fast!` 

• Like 1

As far as I can gather they started life in MX.  Sure, they are stronger but they also don't flex as much.  They probably came about because folks thought bigger is better.

Why do I like them?  1-1/8" bars do not have  a cross bar.  This makes it easier to install hand guards.

As far as I can gather they started life in MX. Sure, they are stronger but they also don't flex as much. They probably came about because folks thought bigger is better.

Why do I like them? 1-1/8" bars do not have a cross bar. This makes it easier to install hand guards.

And they are more mainstream now. The Scott's damper system is simpler without the crossbar. The only downside is that ur bar clamp bolts are more likely to bend, but that's a lot cheaper than replacing the handlebars!

So a fat bar has less flex than a 7/8 with cross bar? I figured they'd be about the same since they're both 7/8 at the ends. Thought the extra 1/4 of the fat was just to allow elimination of the cross bar without losing strength.

I like my 7/8 bar fine and have used both on the same bike

Edited by Kroynon

The main difference? They're a quarter inch thicker:excuseme:

I run 7/8" bars with no complaints. Have I ever bent one? Of course. 1 1/8" bars will bend too. Anything can be bent/broken in the right crash.

I personally prefer the additional flex of the smaller bars.

Yes a chance to correct the old Chokemister. Thicker? I know you meant .250" larger in diameter.?

I like the more open feeling and I believe they are stronger.

I agree with this. I like the open feel and one less thing to catch my wrist on when i suddenly get off.

• Like 1

While not a problem for knurled bars, the larger diameter bars are also less likely to slip and rotate in the clamps on big impacts.

I want my bars to be able to rotate in a hard getoff. Perches too. Less likely to bend/break things that way. I'd much rather straighten my bars than replace the mounts or triple clamp.

I also leave my lever perches a little loose so they can rotate and not break.  So what bar clamp torque do you use so the bars slip in a hard getoff but not during hard riding? ;-)

I just tighten them enough that I can't pull them back when I'm sitting on the bike, but I can make them move slightly if I hit them hard from the front of the bike with both open hands and all my body weight.