Sign in to follow this  

87 xr100r float issues? please help!

hi my 1987 xr100r is not running well, it backfires ALOT and it idles ok, but when you rev up it goes ok then cuts out and it nearly stalls unless you let off the throttle, as if it isnt getting enough gas, or flooding out or something

Has anyone made timing adjustments since the

bike last ran well? Any other engine work?

You can get cheap calipers at harber frieght and adjust the float per the manual. Or check amazon.com for a new carb. I have a 98 xr80 and a new carb is only $18. Other then that just make sure its clean and the fuel can flow threw it.

I see in your other post about the bike that you

write about checking the timing. Which of the

marks on the flywheel did you choose ?

i used the circle on the cam sprocket, and the f mark on the flywheel. i have cleaned the carb multiple time and it has good quality fuel in it.

the biggest issue is that it nearly dies when you give it gas, but then it revs up again, and does the same thing. does anyone know the correct float level on the bike?

i dont think ill get a new carb, maybe new floats.

it is also abit tricky to start, and you need to have it full choked and the throttle wide open for it to go.

i got a new throttle cable for it a while ago and that has helped, also when i got it i got a new pilot screw and slow jet.

sorry it took so long to reply, i was away for the weekend