Sign in to follow this  

RM 250 Parts Availability

I've been looking at a few late model RM 250's. While shopping a friend said "Don't buy an RM, Suzuki quite making them in 08 and soon there wont be any parts. Get a YZ". I did a little searching and found this general thought mentioned a time or two in non-specific threads, but not really addressed. I've also seen comments about RM's being sold in Australia until 2010 or 11 and in the UK until 2011 or 12, so parts should be made/available for a while. 

I decided I see what the folks in the Zook 2t forum think. 

Should I skip buying and putting money into an RM 250 because I wont be able to get parts in the future? 

I've not had a problem with the big needs like piston kits, bearings etc, but there are cool aftermarket items that companies make for the YZ or the 4 strokes that aren't made for the RM. I wanted an Aceribis x-brake front disc guard for my RM, and the metal mounting bracket for the RM had been discontinued. I called all over and found one on display in a showroom in Canada and the parts guy grabbed it and boxed it up for me. There is a thread on here where some guys were having a hard time finding Hinson clutch covers for the RM... I found mine right away though. 

I had a YZ 250 before this RM, and truth be told, I like the RM better and it handles better, but I sometimes wonder if another, newer YZ wouldn't have been the smarter purchase for just this reason. I've got a full Hinson clutch in my RM, and am consistently adding goodies. I've considered doing an EG big bore kit too, but I definitely worry about putting money into building up a bike that has a diminishing level of support, and that has made me wonder, should I sell this now and start over with a bike that is still being made? This is my 4th Suzuki 2T and I like them so much! Of course, there are guys getting parts all the time for much older bikes so, maybe ^^^rob^^^ is right? I hope so. 

I'll tell you one thing, I hate that we even have to discuss it. I hate what the politics behind the 4 strokes have done to this sport. Suzuki needs to make some RM's! 

Edited by Kenpo1
  • Like 3

Dude, my dad is into vintage Yamaha's, and he is constantly buying parts. His garage is stocked with stuff, it's a little crazy. If he can still get anything he needs for a 1971 250 enduro, you can get parts for a 7 year old RM.

No problems with RM parts here, oem or aftermarket. 

Also, here in Europe there are some EU regs which mean manufacturers have to supply parts for I think 10 years minimum - should be good for a long while...

No problems with RM parts here, oem or aftermarket. 

Also, here in Europe there are some EU regs which mean manufacturers have to supply parts for I think 10 years minimum - should be good for a long while...

That's really interesting. Good to know. They just barely stopped selling the RM's over there, right? I know they were sold in Europe for a few years after they stopped importing them into the US. 

That's really interesting. Good to know. They just barely stopped selling the RM's over there, right? I know they were sold in Europe for a few years after they stopped importing them into the US. 

as far as i know, the last new ones here were sold in September 2012, there haven't been any since, alas. 

I have a 04 RM 250 which I cant find a CDI BOX anywhere .IF anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. From what I am told every year is different.searched ebay,amazon,yahoo,cycle salvage yards, no luck as of yet. thanks

While CDI boxes do occasionally go out, it's not that common of a failure.  Make sure that everything else is good and then check eBay if your local dealership can't get one ~ which seems odd as they should be able to.

It got smashed by a softball size rock along with harness plug,Suzuki stopped producing and are out of stock. Unless a dealer has one in stock,they can not get one.Been checking the internetwith no luck as of yet

It got smashed by a softball size rock along with harness plug,Suzuki stopped producing and are out of stock. Unless a dealer has one in stock,they can not get one.Been checking the internetwith no luck as of yet

Huh...That goes against the whole EU regs requiring a manufacture to produce parts for ten years thing we were talking about. Not sure how distribution works, but maybe these parts need to be ordered from oversees? 

Huh...That goes against the whole EU regs requiring a manufacture to produce parts for ten years thing we were talking about. Not sure how distribution works, but maybe these parts need to be ordered from oversees?

dealer gave me Suzuki usa number, calling them tomorrow to see what options are.

Let us know how that goes.

will do,might have to look into the UK or Australia

most all parts are available except CDI box,they changed them every year from 01 on up.I did find one harness in California.If anyone has any input large dealer that kept inventory,cycle salvage I tried all I could find on ebay,amazon etc.

I was going to buy another rm250 and was really hoping they would have made them again. Unfortunately it looks like I will be going with a beta or a KTM. Sucks because I love my rm250,but I got a smashed case that I repaired,shock is on its last rebuild and my fork internals are worn really bad. Trans just started shifting hard last time I was out from 3rd to 4th also. Bike has a ton of hard hours on it. Really depressing because they are such great bikes. This doesn't help much with my decision to buy anotjer used rm250. One popped up by me and it sold 2 days later. Demand is certainly there for rm's. Closest one for sale to me now is over $4k and for $2-$3k more I can get a beta. That says a lot for an 08 rm250 to still pull in that cash for a 6 year old used bike.

I was going to buy another rm250 and was really hoping they would have made them again. Unfortunately it looks like I will be going with a beta or a KTM. Sucks because I love my rm250,but I got a smashed case that I repaired,shock is on its last rebuild and my fork internals are worn really bad. Trans just started shifting hard last time I was out from 3rd to 4th also. Bike has a ton of hard hours on it. Really depressing because they are such great bikes. This doesn't help much with my decision to buy anotjer used rm250. One popped up by me and it sold 2 days later. Demand is certainly there for rm's. Closest one for sale to me now is over $4k and for $2-$3k more I can get a beta. That says a lot for an 08 rm250 to still pull in that cash for a 6 year old used bike.

They go fast around here too, and for a good price. People are always saying "I would love an 04+ RM 250" and the prior style are popular as well. It really is a bummer they aren't made anymore. I've been wanting to do a big bore kit and some other mods but got hesitant with the whole no parts thing. Eh, I'll keep fixing it up how I want and ride it for a few years until I sell it or can't get parts anymore. I guess if parts get so thin it might be hard to sell, but oh well. Guess at that point it's time to go orange?