1996 XR600R rear shock adjustment confirmations:

Kinda new to this bike, manual doesn't have the pages for rear rebound and compression adjustments. 

1. Need to reconfirm the rear shock has a reservoir that is used to adjust Compression? 

2. The knob on the bottom of the shock is Rebound? 

3. Finally....what are the baseline/recommended settings for this year? 

It uses a piggyback reservoir, cast onto the shock body. The shock is filled with nitrogen, the valve on there is not for regular air and is not an adjustment. There should be a knob on the side for the compression adjustment and there is another knob on the bottom of the shock, in line with the shaft, for the rebound.

I don't suggest a baseline because we don't even know if the springs are correct for your weight and the reason for adjustments is so that it can be quickly done for changing terrain; it's not set it and forget it. We don't know the condition of the shock either or if it still has factory valving.

I suggest that you try them in the extremes in both directions to get a feel for what they do and how many clicks it takes to notice a difference. Adjust the forks too by removing the rubber plugs on the bottom to access the clickers.

When you set the rear shock for maximum rebound damping, it should return very slowly when compressing it while sitting still. If it returns quickly, something is not right.

I often make small adjustments trail side. Even the ambient temperature can affect adjustments. The only tool you need is pocket screwdriver for the fork adjustment, the XR600R has knobs for both rear shock adjustments, not counting preload.