Sign in to follow this  

Clutch

I have a 1985 XR350r, and I have no idea what I'm doing apparently. I'm a newbie to riding and rebuilding. So here's my question. Is there supposed to be a rod of some sort that goes through the middle of the clutch basket? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400204537.688884.jpg

Like the one in the picture "the hole I'm pointing with the screw" I feel dumb for asking this but in the diagram it doesn't show anything of that sort nor can I find a part that'll even go there. If anyone knows of anything, please respond. Thanks so much. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400205964.031664.jpg

I have a 1985 XR350r, and I have no idea what I'm doing apparently. I'm a newbie to riding and rebuilding. So here's my question. Is there supposed to be a rod of some sort that goes through the middle of the clutch basket? attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400204537.688884.jpg

Like the one in the picture "the hole I'm pointing with the screw" I feel dumb for asking this but in the diagram it doesn't show anything of that sort nor can I find a part that'll even go there. If anyone knows of anything, please respond. Thanks so much. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400205964.031664.jpg

Don't know your bike, but usually yes, there's a push rod which pushes out the pressure plate and allows separation of the friction plates and separator plates....

I've tried looking it up, and it's like it doesn't exist. I'm not too sure if it even has one. And if it does, idk where to start looking. And thanks for responding btw.

I've tried looking it up, and it's like it doesn't exist. I'm not too sure if it even has one. And if it does, idk where to start looking. And thanks for responding btw.

If you look at part number 11 in the parts diagram attached to your original post, it is described as "clutch lifter". Does the clutch cable go into the left, or right side engine cover?

Most times the cable goes into the left side and a push rod will extend all the way through the center of the transmission's mainshaft and rests on the inside of the outer clutch hub. When you pull the clutch lever in, it in turn rotates an actuator lever which pushes the push rod which pushes the outer hub which overcomes the spring pressure and allows separation of the plates....

However sometimes the clutch cable goes into the right side engine cover and when you pull in the clutch it rotates an actuator lever which PULLS out the outer clutch hub to allow separation of the plates.....it looks like this might be what you have here....

I looked at some oem parts diagrams and it looks similar to my street bike. A small "bolt" with teeth on one side pushes against the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged. I'm assuming a rod comes down vertically that is splined at the bottom and when you pull the clutch lever, it turns the rod. The splined teeth of the rod engage that bolt, pulling it outwards. This frees the pressure plate from the friction plates.

Part #11 on the diagram.

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2486531&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1985&fveh=131761

Edit: Forgot to say that assuming the diagram is accurate, nothing goes through the hole.

2nd edit: Didn't see that you already posted some diagrams... so you can ignore my link.

Edited by CincoBoy

I didn't look at the diagram as well as I hoped. And it turns out that it's the part I'm looking for. I just pictured there being a long rod in the diagram instead of a small thing like that. Lol thanks guys for your help! I feel so dumb:P

• Like 1

I didn't look at the diagram as well as I hoped. And it turns out that it's the part I'm looking for. I just pictured there being a long rod in the diagram instead of a small thing like that. Lol thanks guys for your help! I feel so dumb:P

Asking questions is how you learn. Don't feel dumb, it's all good ;)

• Like 2

I'm just trying to get into the dirt bike world. And I wanna learn to rebuilds own bike. Wouldn't be so bad if parts for the 85 xr350r were still available:/ they're so hard to find it's insane. But I only need one part they don't make. The countershaft. And thanks again.

• Like 2

I bought my bike broken. Nothing more enjoyable than riding a bike I know inside and out. If you don't have much engine building experience, you'll find that dirt bikes are extremely easy to work on and everything you learn from rebuilding the engine you can apply to basically any motor vehicle. Invest in a good torque wrench (or a few) and follow the manuals word for word and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Like 1

I'm just trying to get into the dirt bike world. And I wanna learn to rebuilds own bike. Wouldn't be so bad if parts for the 85 xr350r were still available:/ they're so hard to find it's insane. But I only need one part they don't make. The countershaft. And thanks again.

ebay and google the oem part number, you might score.

I found a piece , they make it for the 1985 Honda ALL TERRAIN CYCLE (ATC350X) for $10.80. And another thing I've found. The don't make an oil seal for the countershaft. Part number 91205-HA5-000

I've looked everywhere. Can't find one. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400336878.160739.jpg

If you have the old seal, see if you can get a number off it and google. It may well be a standard part. Most bearings and seals are.

Or is that number you posted off the seal. Also google the honda number, if you didnt already.

I'll see if I have a weird seal supplier link. I think there's a lawn mower supply that has a lot of odd bike parts if I can find than.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

I've never ordered from boats, but people all over the world swear by them, ans some say they get parts that are out of the system even after they run out for a while http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/parts.html

http://www.rocketseals.com/

http://www.mcmaster.com/ has all sorts of parts and materials with dimensions. So you may have to measure up and try them if theres no exact replacement.

Happy hunting bro.!

The number I posted is the seal part number. But I'll try the link you posted. Thanks!

This firm in Holland is expensive especially when you add shipping but they buy up new stock and sometimes they are the only people who have  the new part. Check it out.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xr350r-1985-usa_model7766/partslist/?model_q=xr350

Good luck- I almost bought one of the 1985 XR350R in 1985 but refrained because I had already my 1980 XR500(still Have)-1985 XR350R is a cool bike.

I've looked Cmsm up and they have the seal and another one I'm looking for that I forgot. And it's $12 for both but sky rockets to $39 because shipping has to be $27 :/ that's insane

I've decided to sell the bike when it's rebuilt and fully operational. Because I want a bike that when something breaks. I can easily find parts and not worry about the part not being made anymore.

Ok update. I've found the seal I was looking for on xrs only, and it's only $8. No crazy $27 shipping and handling.

Yeah shipping from Holland -only if you want it -can't find it anywhere else and you order enough to justify the shipping charge. I found some  1980 XR500  exhaust valves there and went for it by ordering enough to justify it. :rolleyes: