Sign in to follow this  

Buddy Bikes

Buddy Bikes. Do you have one?

What is it?   Would you buy it again?

How much should someone spend on one?

I want to get one, I have several friends, and family that don't own a bike and I would like to ride with them. I'm thinking along the lines of an XR200 and less than $800.

Buddy Bikes. Do you have one?

What is it?   Would you buy it again?

How much should someone spend on one?

I want to get one, I have several friends, and family that don't own a bike and I would like to ride with them. I'm thinking along the lines of an XR200 and less than $800.

I find myself in the same scenario. For a newb the cr125 and yz85 seem to scary. Xr200 would be ideal.

Are you saying a bike that you own for a friend to ride?  If so, I dont think its a very good idea. I let a few of my friends ride my bikes over the years and most often they ended up wrecking and bending/breaking something. If you do get one make sure its crappy and slow, like an old XR 200 as you mentioned. Otherwise let your friends buy their own bike.

Yes I want to own an older, cheap, dependable bike for people I know that don't have or cant afford their own bike to ride. I prefer something ugly so maybe they will be more likely to buy their own.

Are you saying a bike that you own for a friend to ride?  If so, I dont think its a very good idea. I let a few of my friends ride my bikes over the years and most often they ended up wrecking and bending/breaking something. If you do get one make sure its crappy and slow, like an old XR 200 as you mentioned. Otherwise let your friends buy their own bike.

I like riding my "crappy and slow" XR200. And yeah....it would make a good buddy bike.

• Like 2

My buddy has a late 80's xr200 that he taught 4 people to ride on, and it's only really been damaged by people who already know how to ride.

• Like 1

05 ttr125 with a bbr 150 kit is my loaner bike for friends. They usually prefer that over my yz85.

Edited by dragginblazer

I like riding my "crappy and slow" XR200. And yeah....it would make a good buddy bike.

I'm not saying that the XR200 is a crappy bike.  I'm saying that if he is going to buy a bike for his buddies to ride, then he should get one thats already clapped out.   It's pretty easy to find a ragged out XR for cheap that will still be reliable.  I knew as soon as i posted that somebody would take offense to that. I'm not putting down the XR in general, i'm just saying that it's easy to find an XR that matches the ideal profile for a "buddy bike".  I do, however, stand by my statement that the XR 200 is slow :smirk:

I never really thought of my spare bikes as 'buddy bikes' but I guess they could be considered as that. I don't ride my '92 RMX very much these days but it is always ready to go and I'll let a friend or guest take it out, same as an '04 XR 250 of my sons that I have, which bike I give them pretty much depends on their riding experience. I have enough spare gear as well to try and keep people 'safe'. 

Cr500 or Kx 500 would be a great buddy bike.

Those two are reserved for long wives/girlfriends to learn on..

• Like 3

I'm not saying that the XR200 is a crappy bike. I'm saying that if he is going to buy a bike for his buddies to ride, then he should get one thats already clapped out. It's pretty easy to find a ragged out XR for cheap that will still be reliable. I knew as soon as i posted that somebody would take offense to that. I'm not putting down the XR in general, i'm just saying that it's easy to find an XR that matches the ideal profile for a "buddy bike". I do, however, stand by my statement that the XR 200 is slow :smirk:

Yeah....I know my little XR is slow.

Of course I'm not offended..,.when parked next to a modern 2t KTM it looks like a relic from the past. But you are correct in saying its a great buddy bike. All the XR bikes are perfect for that type of thing bc they can take heaps of abuse and still keep running.

• Like 1

Both the RT and xr have a good buddy bike component in that they're air cooled so when your buddy crashes it he gets to replace levers or bars, but not a radiator.

• Like 1

My wife has a TTR-230 that is perfect for guys who come out once or twice a year 'cuase that's about all she rides it too.

• Like 1

I'd be looking at TTR250s, XR200-250 CRF230 inclusive.

Many cheap bikes out including older DT and WR200s etc etc.

I wouldn't have something I wouldn't ride myself though. Because I know sure as taxes I'd be riding it too.