XR200's are crappy and slow.

Well I don't disagree with post #3, the XR200s make a very good buddy bikes because they are reliable and easy to ride.  The same reasons we like them.  My oldest son grew up riding  2T dirt bikes but seldom rides as an adult, when he does ride with me he prefers my stock XR200 over my Powroll 218 bike, he prefers the power of the stocker. 

When I swap bikes for a stocker I notice the soft power and waiting for the revs to build when exiting a corner, and I'm usually riding one gear lower.  For better or worse, whatever you ride the most becomes your frame of reference.

Crappy and slow?  Compared to what?  Are XR100s crappy and slow too?  How about Harleys?

The XR series set the pace for all to follow.  The XR200 set the bar.  High.  The XR200R set the bar again  Higher.

Did you ever notice the people saying things like that:

• Have never even ridden an XR200
  • Only rode one that was poorly maintained
  • Have only ridden 2T MX bikes their entire life
  • Have almost no riding skills at all in any context
  • Go back and forth banging gears on the street in front of their house
  • Have absolutely no idea how anything about a bike works, theory or otherwise
  • Always try to prove their point by wanting to drag race, never by running an enduro track

I have ridden and spoken with some very accomplished MX riders and ALL of them appreciate the XR200, its intended usage, and its rider base.  Only a pompous egotistical knuckle-head could say such a thing and actually believe it.

Every bike has its place in he world and the venerable XR200's world is a very big one.

Thank you, Honda, for setting the bar so darn high.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 11

A stock XR200 is crappy and slow especially the later ones. 

A modified XR200 can be a really fun bike.

I'd love to try an XR218.

They're for short old men to put around on while they're son rides. They are really good for playing around on, I try to climb the gnarliest hill I can find when ever I ride Russ's xr

I had one briefly when I was about 12 or 13. Compared to the CR80 and 125 I also had at the time it was crappy and slow, on a race track. But for farting around on in the woods, fields, popping wheelies, and general riding it was great. It never needed any maintenance, the only real requirements were that it had oil, and it had gas.

I liked my XR200R. I think it was a 96 or 97 maybe. It was new when we got it, but I quickly grew and my dad got me a new 98 XR250R for the trails and I had a 97 CR125 for MX. I wish I still had the XR250R now some 16 years later. Great bike.

I had 3 XR's, a 95 100, the 200R and a 98 250R. The 250 was my favorite.

Edited by MXRider72
  • Like 1

"Harley's crappy and slow" was the very first thing I thought of when I read the title of the post....

Lol

• Like 1

Hey I used to dislike Harley's as well. But now that I'm gonna be 30 in a few months, I want one. I'm embracing my inner redneck I guess.

Talk about crappy and slow...  That's exactly what an XR400 is.  Is it an overweight XR250?  Is it an under-powered XR600?  Great - It's both.  The old XR350 was a miserable failure as is the XR400.  It isn't really good for anything.  In tight technical sections an XR250 will leave it far behind.  In long open sections an XR600 will leave it far behind.  Really...  What's the point?

I just can not imagine what Honda was thinking when they made this bike.  Worse yet, what were the buyers thinking?  "I want an overweight XR250"?  "I want an under-powered XR600"?  I don't know who's crazier - Honda or the buyers and riders.  Anybody riding an XR400 is just plain scared of the power of an XR600.  Obviously anybody riding an XR400 has no clue whatsoever about off road motorcycling.

The above sounds just like a lot of garbage I read and hear all the time.  Spouted by people that know everything about nothing.

Hopefully you all realize the above was a joke.  The XR400 is obviously an awesome bike.

• Like 3

Hey I used to dislike Harley's as well. But now that I'm gonna be 30 in a few months, I want one. I'm embracing my inner redneck I guess.

I love Harleys.  More torque off idle than most bikes make in their dreams.

Electra Glide.jpg

Edited by VortecCPI

That's a lot of power. I just want an 883 or 1200 bobber to cruise around on.

That's a lot of power. I just want an 883 or 1200 bobber to cruise around on.

Yes it is.  That's from a 2007 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide 110 inch engine.

I'll put one up from an 88 inch Road King I ride in just a bit...

Road King Before (Large).jpg

Road King After (Large).jpg

Edited by VortecCPI

I think their good intermediate and tight trail bikes. I had one and it could go anywhere! And the lower ride height makes some beginers more comfortable in the woods. The thing i dont like about them is the engine desighn. The cdi on the camshaft was a pain in the ass. And i think they couldve made it a little lighter

Post #3 is being taken out of

Context. To me it's not that he called xr200's crappy and slow.. He was saying that an old crappy slow xr200 would be a good bike for friends to play with... All bikes can be crappy and slow if you show it enough abuse

I do Enduros on a mix of bikes. my Plated totally stock '83 XR200R is the backup to the backup bike. I have actually finished more Enduros on the xr200r than other bikes. it always starts and has never let me down, if you need power you can rev the shit out of it. it doesn't care. if you are in the wrong gear in a  gnarly part, just point it to where you want to go and it will just tractor through. I did a long gnarly uphill last fall in an Enduro, reving the shit out of like a 125 and the exhaust got so hot, that it totally melted the plastic side cover. it didn't even use any oil. sure, it does take more time to spool up than my 250 2T, but in many situations you can plan ahead. the only big shortcomings are the suspension and the top speed on the fire road transfers, and it's small. I look like a gorilla riding it. if I needed a buddy bike, I would give them one of my other bikes and ride the xr200r myself. 

• Like 2

Lol, I remember my first job at the local Honda/Kawasaki dealer in the early 70's

All the mechanics there always called Sportsters "dirt bikes"

Then AMF bought out Harley and they started calling Harley's "Hardly Ableson's"

Yes the old memories... Honda 250 & 305 scramblers were dirt bikes then also! Now those were Crappy!

(And F-7's - F-9's WAY BEYOND CRAPPY!!) outright JUNK!

Then AMF bought out Harley and they started calling Harley's "Hardly Ableson's"

I used to despise HDs.  My father and all his GM millwright friends loved them.  Now that I actually ride one I see why they liked them.

Yes the old memories... Honda 250 & 305 scramblers were dirt bikes then also! Now those were Crappy!

My father had a 1972 Laverda 750 SF - Looked just like the old 305 Honda engine.  The Laverda, however, had a wicked engine.

They're for short old men to put around on while they're son rides. They are really good for playing around on, I try to climb the gnarliest hill I can find when ever I ride Russ's xr

I'm probably way too big for my XR200 (6'0", 190lbs). Yeah....it is the perfect bike to plunk around on while my 7yr old scoots off on his PW80.

They do make a lot of torque....the only problem is that they have to be revved so much with the clutch pulled in at stop signs.

I like my 90. It has a broken head stud on the side, Front shock oil leak, Piston to cylinder clearance of about 4 miles, out of round and out of taper on the bore of about 45 degrees, oil leak from the stator side and before I bought it.........it had a lodged compression ring on the top, and shattered compression ring on the bottom, but still in the ring land and shagged oil rings..........And it still pulled hard and ran. 

Crappy and slow..............Depends on the rider! :lol:

And maybe the cam you install.

Edited by GEOF
  • Like 3