XR200's are crappy and slow.

Ive seen some vids of trail6 on YouTube. I want nothing to do with that place. Your RMX will prob handle it pretty good tho.

Yeah, my son loves riding out there in paso. It's good family time! Plenty of exploring, rock throwing, stick fighting, lizard catching, squirrel chasing, etc....pretty much heaven for a 7yr old.

the RMX did OK, but it keeps overheating and when that happens, the idle gets screwed up and it has no low-end torque (even less than a normal 2T).... should have ridden my crappy xr200r.

yeah, trail#6 is like a bunch of novice trials sections tied together by cliff hanger single tracks.

Edited by cynicryder

the RMX did OK, but it keeps overheating and when that happens, the idle gets screwed up and it has no low-end torque (even less than a normal 2T).... should have ridden my crappy xr200r.

yeah, trail#6 is like a bunch of novice trials sections tied together by cliff hanger single tracks.

So you went out there today? There are some sections, probably the ones I saw on YouTube, that look pretty nasty.

I found a few cow trails today that I had not yet been on. This is a perfect bike for exploring. Damn cows can walk up some steep hills! There's one that is very steep and long....with a lot of rutted out, rocky sections. I may have to bust out my XR 400 for this one in particular because it is very steep a goes for a loooong way up....with very little room for error.

So you went out there today? There are some sections, probably the ones I saw on YouTube, that look pretty nasty.

I found a few cow trails today that I had not yet been on. This is a perfect bike for exploring. Damn cows can walk up some steep hills! There's one that is very steep and long....with a lot of rutted out, rocky sections. I may have to bust out my XR 400 for this one in particular because it is very steep a goes for a loooong way up....with very little room for error.

must be pretty intense hill to break out the xr4 !!!

yes, we did it today. there are some  gnarly sections that are barely doable on a xr200r without getting off, but a real challenge on a 2 stroke. lot's of clutch dragging/revving and popping the clutch to get the front wheel up/over rocks/roots, while pushing the bike. certainly a different technique. it would be easier with a rekluse, but that's cheating. trail 6 is good practice for enduros. china wall -> trail 6 -> is about 23miles and sugar pine -> trail 5 -> trail 6 -> back is about 45miles. I'm pretty spoiled riding the crappy xr200r. 

Look how crappy this XR200 is - what a stinking pile of crappity crap........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOrQZsR1oc

Took my old KTM 250 2 stroke out today as the XR's gettign some final prep for next weekends's racing - it was hard work and I was definitely slower than I am round that course on the slow and crappy XR

Complete POS stock mid to late 90's XR200. Nice vid....wish I could ride like that!

must be pretty intense hill to break out the xr4 !!!

yes, we did it today. there are some  gnarly sections that are barely doable on a xr200r without getting off, but a real challenge on a 2 stroke. lot's of clutch dragging/revving and popping the clutch to get the front wheel up/over rocks/roots, while pushing the bike. certainly a different technique. it would be easier with a rekluse, but that's cheating. trail 6 is good practice for enduros. china wall -> trail 6 -> is about 23miles and sugar pine -> trail 5 -> trail 6 -> back is about 45miles. I'm pretty spoiled riding the crappy xr200r. 

Honestly, it feels like cheating with the 400 b/c it will flat out chug up anything no matter how nasty. Wrong gear? No problem.....just keep going. If I was a little smaller and lighter I think it would be okay on the 200 (I'm 6'0", 190lbs). For tight, technical stuff the little 200 is perfect. It I need a hammer to pound something out, I use the 400. However, I really like that RMX250....if I recall, you have a pretty sweet one. Lighter than an XR400 but a little heavier than the XR200....but plenty of push for what you need.

Did you hit that today with some other TTers? I've been following the Foresthill Trail6 Fact or Fiction thread.

Complete POS stock mid to late 90's XR200. Nice vid....wish I could ride like that!

Honestly, it feels like cheating with the 400 b/c it will flat out chug up anything no matter how nasty. Wrong gear? No problem.....just keep going. If I was a little smaller and lighter I think it would be okay on the 200 (I'm 6'0", 190lbs). For tight, technical stuff the little 200 is perfect. It I need a hammer to pound something out, I use the 400. However, I really like that RMX250....if I recall, you have a pretty sweet one. Lighter than an XR400 but a little heavier than the XR200....but plenty of push for what you need.

Did you hit that today with some other TTers? I've been following the Foresthill Trail6 Fact or Fiction thread.

I went with some riding buddies who also race enduro/scrambles. they lurk on here, but it's no one from the thread.

my rmx is pretty nice when it runs right, but I'm still working out some bugs and getting used to the 2 stroke power in the technical stuff. I think I have a air leak that makes it run lean when it gets warm, and then it overheats. the xr4 is a pretty nice bike. 

my rmx is pretty nice when it runs right, but I'm still working out some bugs and getting used to the 2 stroke power in the technical stuff. I think I have a air leak that makes it run lean when it gets warm, and then it overheats. the xr4 is a pretty nice bike. 

It's amazing how tolerant the old two-valve air-cooled XRs are to altitude, humidity, and temperature changes.  I swear they run great in almost any condition you may find yourself.  I'm a jetting perfectionist and about the most I ever do is adjust the idle mixture screw when the temperature changes.  Even when my CRF230 is screaming hot it idles just fine and has no carburetion problems.

I had a WR250F in my garage for a while and that was one finicky piece of machinery.  I didn't care for it one bit.  2T power is right.  That thing had zero  off-idle and low-end torque.  Really screws your timing up something fierce.

Edited by VortecCPI

Yep The XR200s are pretty tolerant of altitude, I jet for sea level and it gets a bit blubbery at 5k on a hot summer day but still runs. Some restarts may require full throttle. 

The XR200 engine is a very good technical hill climber because of its good bottom end power.  Put that engine in a long wheel base MX chassis and it becomes a billy goat in the mountains. 

Edited by Chuck.

if the xr200 is crappy and slow then run one into a tree in high gear at wide open throttle... and then we will see if its crappy and slow...

p.s. i will come visit u in the hospital, point and laugh, then hand u ur feeding tube and walk out...while i prefer 2 stroke bikes my xr200 was free...so what was supposed to do not take a free bike....i know its b.s. that parts are really cheap and readily availible...im not putting up with that..anyone want a free xr200...its a 87 with a me02 engine on original crank and rod..thats crappy that it keeps going and going...lmao...i hate when my stuff never breaks down.

god bless our troops

Edited by 75nova420

Bought a xr200 as a buddy bike 2 weeks ago. My buddies love that bike. One of them is like this bike is awesome and just super reliable. He came off of my other buddy bike klx250 and he likes it's one way more. He says it's very easy to control while hauling ass on the trails. Haha he never gets tired from riding for 5 hours and me I love my wr but after 3-4 hours I'm beat.