Sign in to follow this  

Oil suggestions

Hey guys i have a 2003 450r and I have been running the honda gn 4 or whatever it is that the owners manual says to run. But what do you guys suggest? Same in both motor or and tranny or what? Please tell me what you run thanks!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400214985.785591.jpg

That's what I've been running in both sides the past few months 700cc's each side. 25 bucks a gallon at cycle gear.

And I run a rekluse z-start. All good here

I run Rotella blue jug in my engines http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-Synthetic-5W-40-Motor-Oil-1-Gal/14958681

And Rotella white jug in the trans http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T-15W40-Motor-Oil-1-Gal/14958327

I change both every 4 hours so I do not feel the need to drop big bucks on any boutique motorcyle shop oils

Do a search and you will find 100 pages on this subject and 1000 different opinions. You can go mad trying to decide based on what you read. Really all you need to look for is that the oil you choose meets the specs outlined in the manual. Also, Honda does not R&D or produce any oil/chemical of any kind. It is all outsourced and usually to the lowest bidder. When you walk into a Honda dealership and pay for that Honda label you are giving them a pretty high profit %. When I was a AHM employee I used to get a big discount from certain dealers on oils and I would sometimes pay 40-50% less then what they were selling it to the general public for.

Edited by mrmoto35

Mobil 1 synthetic atf in the trans side

Shell rotella t in the engine.

I use the rotella not because everyone on here says to... It's actually been in all my 4 strokes for about 15 years. Dad told me "the diesel oil is good stuff.

It has or had zinc in it while its been removed from gas engine oils because it ruins catilytic converters. The zinc helps with flat tappet cams survive.

I would use mobile 1 turbo diesel truck,

Or I would use some motul 10-60 for high temp slow rides.

But I change it often because the injected bikes are always stinking the oil up of fuel. So for this reason I use the cheaper shell rotell.

• Like 1

gatu.gif

could not resist... but i too run rotella white jug on the trans side and the blue jug on the engine side. hundreds and hundreds of hours on my bikes.

Edited by MELK-MAN