Sign in to follow this  

Tire advice

Ok, this is my setup...

Uncorked '08 WR450F, I'm 6'4" and around 260#. I ride a lot of technical trails which include rocks, ruts, gravel, mud, etc... No racing, just recreational off road, single track stuff. My buddies and I ride pretty hard and need good tires. I recently put on a Sedona MX-887 and I'm not pleased with how fast it's wearing.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a reasonably priced tire that will hold up more than 100 miles??

Thanks Toyota, that's just what I was looking for. Now I just have to find a supplier that will ship to Alaska for a reasonable price...

Motorcycle superstore is the only place I could find the MT16. Good tire. I bet they ship to Alaska.

Maxxis Desert IT or Motoz Desert HT. Tried and true Baja tires that hook up when you use Tubliss at 0-3psi. I used to run a trials tire, but found I can get equal traction with the Desert IT at 1psi and can ride it flat forever if I get a hole in it. I'm on my 2nd year with my IT and it will probably last me through the season.

For wear properties, the Maxxis desert IT is hard to beat and it hooks up reasonably well everywhere and is predictable. It does have some stiff sidewalls that are a benefit. The MT16 seems to wear well and get good traction even when worn down. I have a Pirelli front now (Pro model, can't remember the details) based on Dwight's recommendation here and I'm afraid I cannot recommend it in turn (see what I did there?). The darn thing climbs ruts/sidewalls like crazy.

The Shinko 520 works great at every terrain I throw at it and wears really good. I ride muddy root infested single track, rocks, sand, red clay, and this is a do it all tire.