Bike Dilemma, kind of.

Alright so, I'm just starting out again. I haven't been on a bike in almost 15 years. With that being said, I've been looking at new 250f's. With that being said and after talking it over with the wife, I think I should maybe purchase a used bike first only there is a dilemma. It's inevitable that at some point I will fall, I'd rather fall and tear up a $3k machine over a $7k+ machine.

It seems every 250f I find has some sort of story or has just been rebuilt. So that has pretty much kept it hard for me to find a bike that I care to pick up. If its at a dealer they want too much. If its a private seller its just been rebuilt and ready to go. After reading some people's horror stories, if I was put in that scenario, I would rather just come off the $7k+ over buying someone's headache. If I buy a used one for $3k and have to put $2k into it, for a couple thousand more, I could have the latest year bike. Not a rebuilt 3+ year old one.

So with all that, I have began looking at 2t's, as they can be found decently priced for the condition and even if I paid someone to do it, a rebuild is just much much cheaper. I haven't swung my leg over one in awhile, the last bike I "rode" was a cr125 the last bike I took for a ride was a cr250. From what I can remember, I honestly believe the 250 2t will be too much bike for me getting back into it. I am around 5'9'' and 165lbs. So I began looking for cr125's and I have found some that I would be interested in. Made a few calls, the really nice ones seem to sell quick and then you have the ones that look nice, contact the seller and it needs this and that and this and that. Which is fine because the bikes are years older but, why waste both of our time, just say it upfront in your ad.

Then I was talking about it to a co-worker (58 years old), he offered me a 2001 kx250 with under 3 hours on it. He took some recent pics, the bike literally looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. He told me it starts on the first kick. He starts it every month rings it out down the road and back then puts it away. He's done this the last 6  years, its been in his family the entire time its been owned. He told me to swing by and we'd start at $2k.

So, what do you guys think? 

I'd have a look at that KX for sure!! Sounds like a killer deal, and usually older people take care of their bikes. Even though it is a 250 2T you will be able to tame it down, and I think you'd be better off on it than a 125. 125s need to keep the revs high, on a 250 you could add a flywheel weight, and have a good beginers bike.

The KX may be the way to go. I have just started riding again after 10 years off and I bought an 02 CR250 in good shape for $1900. I thought it might be too much for me but for the price I picked it up and after about 4hrs on it I love it. You my want to change some things to make it more trail friendly but if it looks good and you trust the guy I say snag it. If after a while you don't like it you can probably turn it around and get your money back. With a budget of 7K You can afford to make one killer woods machine out of it custom tailored for you.

Alright so, I'm just starting out again. I haven't been on a bike in almost 15 years. With that being said, I've been looking at new 250f's. With that being said and after talking it over with the wife, I think I should maybe purchase a used bike first only there is a dilemma. It's inevitable that at some point I will fall, I'd rather fall and tear up a $3k machine over a $7k+ machine.

It seems every 250f I find has some sort of story or has just been rebuilt. So that has pretty much kept it hard for me to find a bike that I care to pick up. If its at a dealer they want too much. If its a private seller its just been rebuilt and ready to go. After reading some people's horror stories, if I was put in that scenario, I would rather just come off the $7k+ over buying someone's headache. If I buy a used one for $3k and have to put $2k into it, for a couple thousand more, I could have the latest year bike. Not a rebuilt 3+ year old one.

So with all that, I have began looking at 2t's, as they can be found decently priced for the condition and even if I paid someone to do it, a rebuild is just much much cheaper. I haven't swung my leg over one in awhile, the last bike I "rode" was a cr125 the last bike I took for a ride was a cr250. From what I can remember, I honestly believe the 250 2t will be too much bike for me getting back into it. I am around 5'9'' and 165lbs. So I began looking for cr125's and I have found some that I would be interested in. Made a few calls, the really nice ones seem to sell quick and then you have the ones that look nice, contact the seller and it needs this and that and this and that. Which is fine because the bikes are years older but, why waste both of our time, just say it upfront in your ad.

Then I was talking about it to a co-worker (58 years old), he offered me a 2001 kx250 with under 3 hours on it. He took some recent pics, the bike literally looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. He told me it starts on the first kick. He starts it every month rings it out down the road and back then puts it away. He's done this the last 6  years, its been in his family the entire time its been owned. He told me to swing by and we'd start at $2k.

So, what do you guys think?

5'9 / 165, go for any 250T and forget about 125's. Believe me, it' not hard to tame a 250, just take it easy, get to know her, find her weak spots and positives and in no time, you'll start to feel comfortable with her. It's not about bike, it's more about experience if you're not considering racing. I've got 7 smokers in my garage and love every one of them. From an 85 to three 500 class bikes. Riding any of them can get you hurt, so take it easy, learn, get fluid, and you'll be holding a full throttle on that 250 in no time. :devil:

I'm not going to be doing any racing, at least for awhile. I do plan on taking it to mx tracks (some very nice ones appear to be somewhat local) but not to ring it out and act like I am 15 again (fearless, nothing hurts, I'll be fine by tomm, etc)..

I have no aspirations of becoming a "racer" so to speak or competitive (thats what they all say) and I know I won't ever be a "pro". I just more than likely would put put around on it on open practice days more than anything. I was more worried about the fact that its been sitting and not used at all. I also found out that it was his brother in laws before it was his, who is also right around the same age. All he did on it is put put around with his kids when they had kx100's. The guy who owns it right now, like someone said, he's older, I know he takes care of his stuff, hell his 12 year old work car looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. We always tease him he better go move it because the wind changed directions.

With that being said, even though the bike is like brand new, it is 13 years old. What should I be expecting to get myself into?

I keep seeing all these 250 2t's that are all tricked out and the guys want anywhere between $2k-$4k for them. Just looking at their pics, this kx does look much better.