Sign in to follow this  

What new motor can fit a 90's ktm 550 2S?

I'm looking into getting an older KTM 550 to use as a snow bike.  I'm afraid the motor may need a major rebuild and parts limited or expensive.

Has anyone been able to fit a newer motor into one of these frames relatively easily ?  Or is it worth the trouble ?

Thank in advance .

Thanks for  the reply, hondas do have a much longer history.  some of the other brands like ktm have had their ups and downs (or downs and ups as they seem to have moved up over the last few years).

This particular bike comes with the snow kit I've been looking for.  I have a feeling throwing in the bike is just his way of getting rid of it.  other than the motor its a nice bike.   My thought was that since the snow bike is really just using the bike frame to hold it all together that dropping in a newer motor might be workable.  Tricky part without having someone else already having done it is knowing what motors may bolt in with out a bunch of welding.

What about buy it and sell/part out the KTM and put the snow kit on a bike you think will be more reliable?

have you not noticed the chain,kickstarter, airboot is all on the opposite side from normal ? 

the only thing that will drop right in that frame are ancient dinosaur ktm engines

maybe you can buy it if the snokit will fit on other bikes. if its specific to only the old ktm then i probly wouldnt bother

Thank harryhandshake, thats exactly what I needed to know.  Someone familiar with the engine and specifics about mounting.  I'll be passing on this one unless he lets the kit go for cheap (I'm sure its been ran hard right along with the bike)